For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th, 2022 for this position.
This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
In this Java Development Lead role, you will be responsible for developing mission-critical, Java-based software applications using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. You will have the opportunity to work hands-on writing software or solutions, based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new software solutions to address a specific need or solve a business problem. Additionally, you will drive development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process. You will coach/mentor software developers and will review the software being developed. This role will also work closely with architects and/or data scientists to ensure code alignment with design patterns/frameworks.
- Developing enterprise-grade applications using Java 8/JEE (and higher), AngularJS, React.js, SQL, Spring, and HTML5, among other tools.
- Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement
- Aggressively engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Integrating software with existing software/systems
- Automating unit/end-to-end testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability
- Engaging in the remediation of software issues related to code/solutions quality and/or security
- Providing guidance and mentoring of fellow software developers and other team members
- Technical writing regarding system design specifications and user documentation, ensuring that the technical documentation meets GM standards
- Working in a Team-based environment
You will also:
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology
- Holds yourself and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture.
- Be responsible for developing and testing applications using repeatable industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development project methodology.
- Design and write code based on detailed requirements and system specifications. including the updating of existing software and/or developing new applications to address a specific customer need or to solve a business problem.
- Contribute to all development activities including design, coding, testing, certification, documentation and deployment. The Java Development Lead should have a strong eye for Usability. This role will involve a great deal of creativity and initiative.
- Be responsible for full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
- 10+ years Java Experience
- Strong background in Java back end and in front end framework technologies
- Self-starter and quick learner who understands and can adapt to existing software application and computing infrastructures
- Extensive experience with various development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Waterfall, etc.)
- Strong background in software/application development lifecycle
- Master's Degree in Computer Science
- Experience delivering highly scalable, web-based systems, that can support high transaction volumes
- Ability to architect and implement scalable high availability solutions
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.