The career level Robotics Engineer is responsible for supporting new program launches, daily plant operations and projects. Work is performed in an assembly/plant activity where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised as well as a high level of independent judgment. The position’s home location will be in the GM Vehicle Systems Automation group in Warren MI. however, the position will serve assembly plant locations across the US, Canada and Mexico and will be responsible for all plant robotic control systems and documentation.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Project implementation/execution (SOR prep, forecasting, controls/robotics design, equipment build/run-off and buyoff)
- Manage Robot deliveries to program timing milestones
- Quality and thru-put improvement
- Support daily plant operations during the launch phase (robot programming and troubleshooting)
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively with plant engineers and skill trades
- Provide technical direction to less experienced controls/Robotics engineers and skill trades.
- Design and troubleshooting of electrical controls/Robotics and vision systems
- Coordinate with engineering and maintenance on existing machine control modifications to robotic, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic and vision systems
- Create, maintain and keep current all hard copies and electronic data bases: all electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic schematics; panel layouts; PLC, operator display, operator interface, and robot programs; machine power distribution and all related vendor controls component part documentation
- Travel as required
Basic Skills – Required (5+ years of experience as a controls/robotics engineer)
- Strong technical knowledge of electrical/control systems and the ability to apply these concepts within a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated basic understanding of mechanical concepts involving machine designs, process requirements involved in the manufacturing process
- Experience in Fanuc robots setup, programming and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated Excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple challenging projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
- Proven ability in project management skills
- Multiple different manufacturing controls and/or robotics assignments with successful individual achievements
- Complete knowledge of and ability to use RS Logix Ethernet, Device Net, Control Net and remote I/O communications protocol
- Complete understanding and ability to use Excel, Word, Access, AutoCAD, and all related computer software for machine programming, backup and monitoring
- Knowledge of continuous improvement processes.
- Knowledge of Competititve Manufacturing Strategies.
- Self –motivated and ability to multitask
- Demonstrated understanding of plant floor work
- General knowledge of controls and pneumatics is a plus
- Understanding of GMS and 4 walls within the site or program
- Prior work experience as a Robot Engineer in the automotive field
- Robots: GE Fanuc 420S, GE Fanuc LR Mate
- Fanuc Vision
- CAD Systems: AutoCAD
Bachelor’s degree with major in engineering or equivalent experience/training.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.