This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th 2022 for this position.
The Lead Solutions Architect is responsible and accountable for the quality and cohesion of solution architecture components within an assigned domain and their conformance to approved GM IT standards and alignment with the future state enterprise and domain architectural goals. This includes both hands-on development of IT technology solution architectures as well as management of various architectural initiatives.
A Lead Solutions architect is able to look across the assigned domain to ensure consistent alignment of technical solutions with the business goals and objectives of the supported unit. The architect provides industry leading technical direction and guidance to various project teams to ensure appropriate and cost effective application of GM approved technologies. Ensures appropriate and effective data integration across multiple applications.
A Lead Solutions Architect is expected to master all the capabilities required of a solutions architect and shown expertise with various architectural patterns, technologies and architecture management processes. A Lead Solutions Architect will mentor and direct less Lead solutions architects while contributing to multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data and infrastructure designs.
- Responsible for owning the definition of solution architectures which includes evaluation, selection and integration of vital technical components to build solution designs that support the defined functional and non-functional requirements.
- Accountable for defining, developing, presenting Data Architecture Components including Master Data, Meta Data, Data Management Repositories, Logical Data Models, Data Standards, Tool Standards, etc., and adhering to policies and procedures for leading consumption and compliance to GM Data Standards. Leads a team and is responsible for staffing, presenting, training and development, directing and prioritization of work, evaluating performance and removing roadblocks. Expected to have cross domain industry expertise and all of the capabilities required of a Data Architect along with a strong practically based solid grasp of industry standard data architectural patterns, technologies and processes.
- Responsible for development and approval of future state application or infrastructure architectures in an organized and cohesive manner using industry accepted frameworks.
- Collaborate with the application, data, and infrastructure architects on defining, designing and delivering cloud specific technical architectures and design patterns
- You will define, craft and deliver cloud architecture for enterprise applications hosted or built natively on the cloud and integrate with legacy/on-premises systems.
- Responsible for definition of current state application and/or infrastructure architectures for the assigned domain areas.
- Ensure that crafted or reviewed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability and security across multiple domain areas.
- Promotes innovation and application of emerging IT technologies within the context of a business domain area.
- Introduces technology innovation opportunities to the GM IT organization. Participates in the evaluation of new technologies for inclusion as GM IT standards.
- Provides mentorship, mentor and/or training to others as appropriate. Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and crafts a winning culture.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in a technical subject area or equivalent professional experience
- Confirmed understanding of design patterns and software development standard methodologies
- 10-15 years of Information Technology experience in a large-scale commercial enterprise
- proven track record with hands-on implementation of Master Data Management (MDM) solutions applying one of the major MDM solutions
- Demonstrable understanding and experience with data governance, metadata management (lineage, taxonomies, aliases, etc.), and data architecture
- Understanding of data integration concepts such as EAI, ETL, EII
- Experience in integrating business applications and MDM using batch processing, web services, message queues or event-driven architecture
- Experience in Performance tuning of MDM platform, databases and applications preferred
- Proven background implementing solutions for master data management, including experience in:
- Experience implementing different MDM styles (registry, consolidation, etc.)
- Experience in key MDM and related capabilities Data management (master, meta and reference data) Data transformation, cleansing, profiling and quality, Data lifecycle management
- Experience with MDM algorithms (matching, merging, unification, etc.)
- Experience with high efficiency messaging systems (Apache Kafka)
- Experience with modern web technologies and frameworks (Node.js, React, Spring Boot)
- Expert knowledge of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, systems security technology, Business Analysis principles, Business Process Management technologies, Multi-threaded programming, Design Patterns (especially MVC, MVP and MVVM), Application Frameworks
- Containerization and orchestration experience (Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
- Able to work with little to no mentorship in an unstructured environment
- Career track record of engineering, developing (coding), deploying and maintaining business critical information technology solutions across a variety of technical platforms.
- Prior hands on experience in software solution delivery, project management, requirements analysis, scrum master, software development and quality assurance
- Eagerness to learn and be involved in projects from portfolio planning, requirements elicitation, user story creation, code development, unit, automation, functional and integration testing and release
- Any big data and related knowledge/experience is helpful (HDFS, Cassandra, Apache Storm, Spark, Elastic)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.