About Strategy & Global Portfolio Planning
Strategy & Global Portfolio Planning is responsible for creating GM’s global Vehicle, Propulsion, and Technology plans as we work to achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. Our approach combines a deep understanding of customer needs and desires, with societal, market, and industry trends, as well as a vision for new possibilities for the transportation industry.
Intern opportunities include:
Global Market Research
- Engage with internal clients to develop a deep understanding of the customer needs/desires, the societal/technology trends, and the marketplace forces crafting the future of mobility, to build exciting and innovative vehicles/services, and effectively market them around the globe
Global Advanced Portfolio Planning
- Guide development of future strategic products including new vehicle concepts and technologies; guide portfolio concept exploration to align complex and often conflicting business objectives and strategies
Regional Product Planning
- Work closely with the marketing and sales divisions in defined geographies (North America, China, South America, and Other International) to determines the optimal mix of future vehicles and technologies for profitable segment leadership.
Global Propulsion Systems Planning
- Guide the development of GM’s powertrain products for market leadership (engines, transmissions, batteries, and electric drive units).
Economics and Forecasting
- Identify market risks and opportunities and provide sales volume guidance, industry metrics, and economic outlooks to inform product decisions
About the Internship
Interns within Strategy & Global Portfolio Planning engage in substantive projects – leading exciting initiatives that challenge convention and ignite innovation. The intern’s primary responsibility is to gather, evaluate, synthesize, and analyze multiple data sources associated with their individual project to formulate clear and concise recommendations.
We are seeking individuals who are curious, willing to ask questions, take initiative, and be resourceful as they work on projects involving high levels of complexity and ambiguity. Solid candidates will have strong analytical capability and exceptional skills in both written and oral communication.
Examples of previous intern projects include:
- Via primary consumer research, collaborate with Marketing and Engineering to identify customer-centric needs in vehicle voice communications, interior displays, and future feature innovations
- Analyzing and understanding the underlying economics of ride/vehicle sharing.
- Examination of vehicle segments and determining potential new products relative to customer wants and needs, company growth, and financial objectives.
- Imagining an autonomous world and how that reality will work with respect to infrastructure, connectivity, business models, etc.
- Mining new business through millennial myth-busting to determine what transportation looks like for all generations.
Required: Student currently enrolled in a Masters Program
Preferred: MBA, MS in Market Research, Economics, Statistics, Industrial/Organization Psychology, or related field
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Remote: The selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
The Start date for these internships’ roles are for May & June of 2022 Spring/Summer Internship
The median salary range for this position in Colorado is $5750 per month. Applicable salary ranges may differ across markets. Actual pay will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.