Our Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls (VMEC) team is currently seeking experienced and motivated candidates for the role of Electronics System Architect (covering Transmission, Electrification, and Chassis). The System Architect is a technical leadership position that will support our Test Environment Agile Release Train (TExiL ART) and be focused on guiding the vision and the roadmap for our test environments (both hardware-in-the-loop and software-in-the-loop).You will be the key player in a group responsible for creating virtual and hardware-in-the-loop environments to enable development, verification, and validation of embedded controllers and calibrations for transmission electrification, and chassis systems?
System Architects understand and describe the Solution Context and Intent (Define requirements and communicate solution vision), analyze technical trade-offs, determine the primary components and subsystems, identify the interfaces and collaborations between them, define Nonfunctional Requirements (NFRs), guide Enablers through the Program and Solution Kanban systems, and work with Product and Solution Management, stakeholders, customers and Suppliers to help ensure fitness for purpose.
The System Architect plays a critical role in aligning teams on the ART and Solution Train to a shared technical direction and partner with the Agile Teams to elaborate and develop the solution, validating technology assumptions, evaluating implementation alternatives, and creating the Continuous Delivery Pipeline .
System Architects define HOW products are built. Some of the key deliverables required are:
- Defining product architecture (Architecture Vision, HIL Bill of Design, Model Framework, Automation Integration)
- Defining Continuous Delivery Pipeline
- Specifying Non-functional Requirements (NFRs) and acceptance tests, acceptance of NFRs
- Defining enabler work items and architectural runway needed to support feature work for Transmission, Electrification Propulsion, and Chassis domains
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, Software or Computer preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant engineering experience, with at least 3 years focused on virtual simulation and testing
- In depth knowledge of chassis controls systems – specifically, brake controls, driveline controls, and trailering
- Experience in HIL application engineering and simulation modeling
- Working vehicle dynamics knowledge including software packages – CarSim
- Experience successfully leading large and/or difficult projects with high levels of ambiguity
- Demonstrated technical competence in 1 or more architecture domains for ART product(s): System Safety, System Architecture / Functional Taxonomy, Industrial DevOps / Continuous Delivery Pipeline, SW Architecture, or Control Architecture
- Familiarity in computer programming languages including Matlab/Python
- Experience with MATLAB and Simulink in context of plant model development and integration and basic usage of additional tools for real time simulation
- Familiarity with automotive communication technologies such as CAN, LIN, and SPI
- Master’s degree in engineering (Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, Software or Computer preferred)
- Familiarity, or certification with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Familiarity Electrification Propulsion controls
- Knowledge and 1-5 years of experience developing microprocessor-based, real-time control algorithms and software in high level (C/C++) language
- Familiarity of additional simulation tools (e.g. GT Suite, Amesim, etc.)
- Familiarity with embedded controls software and the automated software build processes, including gcc compiler, gdb debugger, Eclipse, and ETAS INCA measurement and calibration tools
- Experience with commonly used HIL bench tools, such as ETAS INCA, Lauterbach, CAN (CANalyzer or Vehicle Spy), software code generation, Python, etc.
- Familiarity with synchronous and asynchronous event driven simulation methodologies (High performance co-simulation)
- Demonstrated leadership and success in software-in-the-loop (SIL) or hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) methodology development & deployment
- Business acumen – familiarity with Budget and Capital Planning Experience with development of advanced technology
- Experience with software integration verification and validation
- Experience as a Controls, Software, or Calibration Engineer
- Experience executing a production vehicle programs, in any role
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.