This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th, 2022 for this position.
In recent years, General Motors Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a mostly outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops, and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM’s global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in innovative technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed, and business value.
If you love to write software and have an unwavering commitment to delivering bullet-proof quality that delights customers and business partners, then the Sr Software Developer in Test role may be the right path for you. In this role you will push the limits of application software to find out where it breaks. This role also requires quick problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and application of programming techniques to design and build test automation solutions.
Deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms is necessary. In addition to the technical skill set, the candidate will be a self-starter, results-driven, equipped with excellent verbal & written communication skills, and the ability to innovate our Continuous Testing practices. Additionally, this role is critical to growing the skill level of other engineers in the GSMC Quality Assurance Organization. You will have the opportunity to teach, coach and mentor junior automation developers in development techniques and help them reach their full potential. The role will also work closely with architects, application developers, business analysts, requirements analysts and other software quality engineers in the delivery of our applications.
In this Sr. Software Developer in Test role, you will be responsible for developing software test solutions using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. You will be leading test automation development, architecting test solutions and frameworks, and raising the continuous testing practice to a more mature level in GSMC.
- A bachelor's degree in a technical discipline such as CS, CIS, or MIS and ~7+ years relevant work experience in software development
- Experience programming using Java, Python and/or .NET.
- Experience with selenium or other software testing technologies
- Experience with automated testing of API’s, user interface, and data validation
- Experience with SQL
- Familiarity with various software technologies, methodologies, and applied software engineering practices/standards such as OOP in an Agile development environment
- Solid foundation in algorithms, data structures, object-oriented programming, and core Computer Science concepts
- Experience with Team Foundation Server/Azure DevOps for requirements management, test management and build/release.
- Strong familiarity with Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment and Continuous Testing concepts
- Strong verbal & written skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Extensive technical skills through demonstrated roles in software development, test automation and performance engineering
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Demonstrated mastery with tools and languages such as SoapUI, Rest Assured, Selenium, Java SDK, Python and Groovy
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Developer, Software Quality Engineer, or as an SDET (programmatically test the product, measure test coverage, develop the sustainable automation, drive testability and diagnostic ability into the product, while promoting best practices in quality areas)
- Experience with Oracle SQL, MS SQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience with GIT
- Multiple project experiences with extensive DevOps practices in an agile environment
- Software and/or Test Automation Development experience in a CI/CD environment
- 5+ years test automation experience including RESTful APIs/Services, Functional Testing, Performance Testing and Load Testing
- Demonstrated ability to own, design, lead and implement test strategies for complex applications and deployment topologies
- Experience with open-source test tools such as Robot Framework
- Experience with test strategy and execution of Web, Mobile and Desktop systems
- Can juggle testing of multiple projects with multiple development teams
- Exposure to Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in Test Automation
- A master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or Management Information Systems is a plus
- Strong understanding of software testing methodologies and techniques. ISTQB certification a plus.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.