As an Associate, you will support and consult with multiple facets of the General Motors global portfolio by solving meaningful and critical strategic issues facing the company.
GM Finance built the Corporate Finance Leadership Development Program, consisting of rotations within the Treasurer's Office/GM Finance with the intention of developing broad financial and consulting skills and producing the next generation of Finance leaders at General Motors.
Treasury Management Potential Program:
This program comprises select employees who are currently pursuing an MBA and graduating between January – June of 2023 and have several years of prior work experience. This program offers approximately three to four (3 - 4) rotational assignments in high visibility areas. Associates will rotate on average every 12 - 15 months pending demonstrated performance in each rotation. Upon successful completion of the program, Associates are expected to take on important managerial roles within the finance organization.
New Associates are given immediate and meaningful responsibilities and are exposed to a wide range of strategic and financial assignments. Depending on the rotation, Associates may work on diverse projects such as handling GM’s cash investment portfolio, developing an FX risk management policy, analyzing investments in new ventures, setting corporate liquidity policy, handling global bank relations, issuing bonds, etc. These diverse and exciting rotations provide an excellent training ground for a career in corporate finance – program graduates will become part of a successful group of alumni.
The rotational positions available cover all areas of the Treasurer’s Office including but not limited to: Capital Planning & Corporate Finance, Corporate Special Projects, Debt & Equity Capital Markets, Foreign Exchange & Commodities, Cash Investments & Structured Finance, Auto Finance, Treasury Operations, Supplier Finance Risk Management, and Pensions Strategy. There is also opportunity to rotate to other areas of GM such as Corporate Development, Financial Planning & Analysis, and select Operational Finance roles across functions (e.g., product development, supply chain) and business units (e.g., North America, Customer Care & Aftersales). These positions are primarily in SE Michigan, but in later rotations may be in other USA/overseas business units or regional treasury centers.
- Pursuit of an MBA degree with preferred undergraduate degree background in Finance, Economics, or Accounting
- Must be graduating from MBA program between December 2022 - June 2023
- Prior work experience of at least three years
- Familiarity in use of common financial tools (ROIC, NPV, IRR, etc.)
- Knowledge of corporate finance principles including ability to perform balance sheet analysis, income statement analysis, cash flow statement analysis, capital structure analysis, etc.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles
- Critical thinking and inquisitive mind
- Sophisticated Excel skills and strong modeling and financial valuation skills
- Can provide accurate, timely and reliable reporting and controls
- Ability to grasp the “big picture” and underlying strategic issues
- Ability to develop solutions to sophisticated problems
- Ability to bring new perspective to challenges and effectively communicate advantages to such perspectives/ideas
Project Management / Client Management
- Ability to ask critical questions and gather data
- Ability to coordinate and handle tasks within a broader project
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently with minimal mentorship/supervision
- Proactively works to resolve issues and move project tasks forward
Teamwork / Leadership Skills
- Ability to work with people within and outside the group, including cross-functional partners
- Works with sense of urgency to complete assignments
- Solves problems and develops new methods of analysis to streamline decision making
- Searches out and corrects inconsistent data; finds and fixes root cause of inconsistencies; understands the drivers
Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Ability to structure presentations in straightforward, efficient manner
- Effective business writer; able to provide a short synopsis and recommendation
This role offers the following work appropriately strategies:
- Hybrid : This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
Relocation assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.