We are looking for a successful Design Release Engineer who is responsible for definition of requirements, execution of design, analysis, development, testing and management of engineering projects for the Central Gateway where creativity, initiative and independent judgment are involved. Exercises technical direction over other specialists or engineering support personnel and may have work direction responsibilities over a small group with specific engineering objectives. Consults with supervisor as the need arises.
- Responsible to specify and release Central Gateway and ensure those modules meet all requirements
- Responsible for packaging and mounting of responsible components
- Responsible to prepare component hardware and software timing plans that ensure all program requirements and material required dates are met.
- Participate in a multi-functional Product Development Team (PDT) to coordinate the development and integration of products into the vehicle.
- Ensure all vehicle Program Imperatives (i.e., piece cost, investment, mass, base engineering content & IPTV) involving these components are met.
- Build/Approve Engineering Work Orders (EWOs) to release component and all fastener part numbers
- Investigation of design alternatives and respond to Change Requests (CRs) in a timely manner.
- Work with the Validation group to develop a component validation plan (includes component software verification) and ensure that the plan is implemented in time to meet program imperatives.
- Participate in Formal Design, Peer and Quality Valve reviews as required by the Vehicle Development Process (VDP).
- Approve Owner/Service Manual/Customer Information Card Content revisions for accuracy, consistency and completeness.
- Approve all In-process Electrical test plans.
- Approve specific ALDL/DVT/Diagnostic Tool requirements for all new majors.
- Support vehicle integration activity for pre-production and production vehicles
- Collaborate with Senior System Safety Engineer to Develop the system safety plan for the BCM according to the GM System Safety Engineering Process
Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
2+ years experience in applying microprocessor based controllers to automotive vehicle electrical systems
High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area
High level of oral and written communication skills
Excellent problem solving skills involving complex systems
High degree of Program Management skills
5+ years of related experience
Knowledge of Electronic Hardware and Circuit Design
Experience in the automotive product release and specification process
Knowledge of microcontroller architectures, memory technologies, and programming
High level understanding of hardware design and failure modes in electronic modules
Working-level knowledge of vehicle serial data communications (CAN,LIN,)
Demonstrated proficiency in writing and comprehending software/hardware requirements
Familiarity with software/hardware verification/validation processes
High level knowledge of automotive EMC requirements
Experienced in performing system and component level DFMEAs
Experienced using DFSS
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.