The VSL is a consulting role responsible for aligning SMT commodity sourcing strategy with program financial, business, timing, and strategic targets during the sourcing phase of the GVDP.
As the purchasing counterpart to the Vehicle System Engineer (VSE), the VSL works collaboratively & cross functionally with the Program Purchasing & Direct Purchasing Teams, VSEs, PPCO(Product Product Program Cost Optimization , Program Engineering, and other collaborators to driving an aligned sourcing strategy focused on achieving critical program cost, timing, quality, localization & other strategic targets.
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
It’s On Me:
- Support program Strategy reviews, SOR Check-ins, SMT Key stakeholder meetings & sourcing reviews
- Drive target & status alignment through collaboration with VSE, Buyer, and PPCO
- Lead aligning Mid-Point PSR / PSR recommendations resolving disconnects prior to leadership review
Innovate Now/Think Customer/One Team
- Drive profitability meeting program financial targets through understanding sourcing strategy cost savings opportunity
- Cost Reduction workshops
- Bundling / Scale Opportunities
- ED&D Lump Sum vs Amortized
- LTA’s vs Best Cost Up Front
- Develop strong relationships with Purchasing & Engineering SMT, VSE, PPCO, Program Team & other key partners
- Be the voice of Direct Purchasing SMT to the Program Team and Voice of Program Team to Purchasing equally considering team priorities
- Maintain program timing assessing risk early and kicking off recovery plans before project is late
- Share knowledge & lessons learned across program and with peers to support strategy optimization
- 3 years Direct Purchasing or Engineering (PDT Leader) Experience
- Strong discernment, experience with case evaluation
- Strong program management experience
- Ability to clearly communicate team goals & rally team around vision & mission
- Represent Purchasing SMT in Program related meetings
- Represent Program Team in Purchasing related meetings
- Lead internal and cross-SMT Issue escalation process
- Strong ability to handle ambiguity
- Familiarity with GVDP, program & sourcing process timelines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and purchasing systems
- Focus on Inclusion – develop positive relationships with collaborators & bring team along the journey
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at the 7th level within the GPSC organization. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience as well as whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.