GM is undergoing a major transformation, both in how we operate and in how we will influence the future of transportation. Our Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls (VMEC) team is on the forefront of this work, emboldening our culture by seeking out determined, innovative individuals who will join our team to help move us forward and achieve our mission.
We are seeking an experienced, motivated and forward-thinking engineer to support the VMEC organization in the newly formed Embedded Controls Capability Team. This team is responsible for building the foundation, maintaining compliance, continuously reflecting and improving our processes. The capability team is responsible for leading our organization forward by benchmarking the diverse embedded controls industry, identifying, defining and documenting best practices for safety critical embedded controls development.
We are at the beginning stages of transforming VMEC from Waterfall to Agile Development Methods. This position would be part of the team created to Train and Coach our organization in Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe); we are looking for an experienced Agilist to help with this transformation. In this role, you will provide coaching, guidance and support to executives, Release Train Engineers, Product Owners, Scrum Masters and other Agile transformation stakeholders. You will be expected to lead by example and challenge the status quo to promote an environment and culture of continuous improvement, experimentation and innovation. With your excellent listening skills, facilitation and conflict-resolution skills you will help VMEC understand the new roles and work methods required to properly adopt Agile at scale.
The successful candidate will embody GM behaviors and competencies; Be passionate about being part of a newly formed team to shape the processes, tools and methods to provide consistency for the organization; Be an active listener and able actively facilitate meetings and discussions; Be nimble to change as we evolve and adopt scaled agile methodologies in the Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls Organization.
- Communicate organizational vison to adopt Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and define the implementation plan necessary to move Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls (VMEC) forward.
- Understand challenges of current development process and identify Safe Principles available to resolve inefficiencies.
- Lead coaching activities, primarily in SAFe, across multiple functional areas Lead workshops and training sessions to educate individuals on Agile values, principles, and practices, in particular as pertains to SAFe
- Coach and mentor Lean business practices, Agile Software Development Methods and Scaled Agile Roles and Responsibilities across multiple functional areas.
- Lead workshops and training sessions to educate individuals on Lean-Agile principles, values and practices.
- Launch Agile Trains and help the Program / ART reduce lead-times and improve predictability
- Mentor change agents and stakeholders on becoming Lean-Agile champions and developing lasting Agile capabilities.
- Be engaged in SAFe community of Practice to look ahead and avoid common pitfalls of large organizational transformation.
- Identify, develop and document best practices as part of continuous improvement of our quality management process
Minimum Required Skills and Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience with demonstrate technical and professional skills in Embedded Controls Development
- Proficient at analytical problem-solving skills where problems are unusual and extremely complex
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills.
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively across the organization including management, leaders and knowledge workers.
- Skilled at resolving interpersonal conflicts and overall helping people communicating effectively.
- A proactive and empowering nature that makes others want to follow your lead
- Strong project management skills and the ability to plan, prioritize work and execute the plan to meet business objectives on time with quality
- Ability to work in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.