General Motors has needs for qualified Wood Model Maker Journeypersons. Working under minimal supervision, the Wood Model Maker Journeyperson is responsible to provide a variety of services and physical properties that are utilized during the design evaluation process.
- Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures
- Ability to read and interpret auto body drawings, and 2D blue prints
- Operate basic mill room equipment – band saw, disc sander, table saw
- Knowledge of mold making, model making, and prototype automobile construction techniques
- Experience with full-feature CAD/CAM systems and 3 and/or 5 axis CNC machines
- Ability to create/edit 3D math data, split parts, add runoff, add tabs/holding features, etc. and operate multiple CNC mills
- Generate efficient, validated CNC cutter paths and provide written and verbal instructions to machine operators in a logical sequence
- Knowledge of machine setups, including clamping, riser utilization, edge-finder or touch-probe techniques, and rigid setup of complex components with no or minimal preexisting fixturing
- Experience in cutting tool selection for various complex geometries and materials, including end mills, ball nose and bullnose mills, use of high speed steel, carbide, and inserted-tooth cutters
- Good organization, communication and problem-solving skills, capable of working closely with a team, engineers, designers, and model makers
Interested individuals must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- U.S. Department of Labor Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate as Wood Model Maker trade or six (6) years of documented experience as a Wood Model Maker and/or CNC Machinist Programmer
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements which include comprehensive assessments, hair drug testing, and a background check
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work flexible shift hours and day or afternoon shift as well as overtime hours daily and weekends on those shifts with little notice
General Motors UAW hourly employment offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package. An annual incentive payout is also available, as qualified.
Relocation and travel expenses will be the responsibility of the applicant.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.