Position requires an employee to be onsite on a full-time basis.
Factory ZERO is our first, all-electric automotive assembly plant and the blueprint of General Motors' electric future! We have a corporate vision of “Zero crashes, Zero emissions, Zero congestion.” Our most novel products like the Hummer EV and our very first autonomous vehicle, Cruise Origin will be assembled right in this facility. This requires us to employ the most upbeat, capable, and innovative talent to ensure we meet the challenges of developing the new manufacturing processes required to assemble these outstanding products!
The Body Shop Joining Engineer will work closely with ME Body Center and functional areas to define welding system requirements. They will oversee the assisting of the integration, start-up and debug of plant floor welding equipment. The Joining Engineer will also work with operating unit(s) on welding system to improve productivity, cost and quality. This person should have strong interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively multi-functionally and cross-culturally, and strong verbal & written communication skills to support technology documentation and training requirements.
What You’ll Do:
- Coordinate business process and re-engineering projects
- Provide support during implementation phase at the plant
- Report as needed on status of systems at operating unit(s)
- Work with other engineers, skilled trades and managers to accomplish cross-functional projects, provide project cost and timing estimates, and support plant product program launches
- Good understanding of gas metal arc welding and resistance welding requirements
- Implement common welding systems
- Develop common welding specifications and standards
- Ability to read and understand CAD drawings of mechanical systems, wiring/hosing diagrams, and product designs
- Provide technical direction to suppliers and GM plant teams.
Your Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 2 years of Automotive Manufacturing experience (welding/joining)
- Detailed understanding of body shop equipment & processes
- Knowledgeable with all standard computer programs (Microsoft Office, WebEx, Teamcenter, etc.) - Intermediate level
- Knowledge of weld verification procedures, weld documentation and build shop support
- Knowledge of robotic gas metal arc welding and resistance welding systems
- Body shop launch and plant experience
- Knowledge of Tooling and Equipment Troubleshooting
- Proven knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems used in joining processes (weld controller, weld gun, servo, robot, riveting, projection welding, dispense, tip dressing, auto cap changer, laser)
- High level of practical problem solving – Red X
What Will Give You a Competitive Edge:
- Knowledge in drawn arc welding systems and in projection welded fastener systems
- Knowledge of Mechanical Joining Process – Flow Drill Screws, Self-Pierce Rivets, Clinching, Etc.
- Knowledge of CAD Programs (AutoCAD, Siemens NX, etc.)
- Knowledge of weld data systems (WIDS, WGVDT, Gateway, TPW)
** GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE