Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to be onsite approximately 3 days per week
Step into a pivotal role with GM as a Diagnostic Systems Architect within our progressive Vehicle Mechatronics Embedded Controls (VMEC) team, embodying GM’s vision towards an all-electric future. VMEC is aligned with GM’s mission to create a "better and safer future for all."
Your expertise will be instrumental in driving us towards our vision of zero crashes, zero emissions, and zero congestion. Your proficiency in Electrification Diagnostics will revolutionize diagnostic strategies in the Battery & High Voltage (B&HV) Agile Release Train (ART), be a cornerstone in delivering robust diagnostic solutions for electrification vehicle programs, and significantly augment GM’s electrification and autonomous initiatives.
What You’ll do:
- Drive technical excellence in Electrification Battery & High Voltage ART diagnostics, orchestrating the development of diagnostic algorithms in line with OBDII and ZEV (Zero Emissions Vehicles) Standardization Regulations.
- Drive a culture of continuous learning across engineering teams, mentor engineers, share technical insights, and promote common diagnostic approaches within Engineering Standard Work.
- Act as a diagnostic ambassador by ensuring high-quality diagnostic standards are delivered on time and clearly communicated across a variety of forums including vehicle teams, Senior Leaders (technical and non-technical), and local teams.
- Amplify the efficiency and quality of Standard Work, devising processes and tools to bolster SAFe Epic and Feature development and support the PRTS (Problem Resolution and Tracking System) process.
- Uncover and communicate cross-ART diagnostic related dependencies, providing crucial support for ATW (Advanced Technical Work) projects necessitating diagnostic expertise.
- Lead Efficient and timely discussions of PRTS issues by bringing the calibration, controls, and numerical simulation teams together to analyze test data, review code, and create stories to address issues proactively.
- Exhibit proactive learning and knowledge sharing with team members on new topics crucial in creating robust Behavioral Tech Specification requirements while contemplating scenarios and corner cases.
- Have responsibility for end-to-end controller diagnostics with an understanding and expertise in the automotive calibration process.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Physics, Math, Computer Science, Information Technology, Chemistry or equivalent
- A minimum of 8+ years of engineering experience
- Mastery over OBD regulation requirements, thermal propagation detection strategies, and a fundamental knowledge of battery chemistry.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and optimizing Supervisory Control Systems for Electric Vehicles.
- Proven experience with Requirements Management tools like DOORS, and adeptness in simulation environments such as Matlab/Simulink, CarSim, D-Space, ETAS for testing or requirements generation.
- Exceptional ability to collaborate with adjacent teams like Architecture, Controls, Software, Hardware, and with Suppliers Controls/Software teams.
- Understanding and expertise in the automotive calibration process, being responsible for end-to-end controller diagnostics.
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Skills)
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in electrification diagnostics, with a special focus on propulsion high voltage controls and energy management.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Engineering with a focus on Controls/Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Passion for software, software quality, and software architecture with experience in C and Matlab Simulink Models.
- Prior experience in Propulsion/Electrification Control Systems or similar realms related to the Physics of Dynamic Electromechanical Systems.
- Proficiency in SAFe/Agile processes, showcasing a balanced approach to project management and execution in a multifaceted, cross-functional environment.
- Background in GM tools will be significantly advantageous.