Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectations is that the employee be on-site an average of three (3) days each week.
The role of the EGM – Material Optimization - Automation Development is to lead the team responsible for developing innovation and optimization initiatives within the Material space in General Assembly. This pivotal position involves the identification and development of technologies and processes to optimize material movement enhancing manufacturing efficiency, quality, and sustainability. The Material Optimization EGM works closely with cross-functional teams and strategic suppliers to conceptualize, oversee, and implement inventive solutions that boost productivity, lower costs, and contribute to overall operational excellence. The EGM will develop and drive aggressive development timelines leading collaboration with key stakeholders from the other Centers, Strategic Suppliers, Technical Teams, GPSC, Safety and Execution Teams. Deliverables include the development from concept to trials/proof of concept/pilots to enable a successful hand-off to the execution teams across the Assembly Plants in GMNA.
What You'll Do:
- Identify and evaluate emerging manufacturing technologies, trends, and best practices to drive innovation and improve operational performance.
- Optimize the Manufacturing processes and material flow by improving its efficiency. This includes streamlining current processes and developing future plans for automation.
- Develop and lead automation initiatives including research, development, adaptation, proof of values/concepts, pilots and the execution of material optimization technologies.
- Develop and implement strategies focused on optimizing material flow and contribute to the development of automation roadmap with timing and cost considerations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including the Material execution leads, Manufacturing Innovation Team, Shop Directors, and other Manufacturing Engineering Center Leads to identify areas for improvement and develop innovative solutions to enhance manufacturing efficiency, quality, and sustainability.
- Work directly with strategic suppliers to develop and execute material optimization initiatives.
- Work directly with plant partners and safety team to achieve development of material optimization initiatives from drawing board/concept to reality/shop floor.
- Work directly with containerization, logistics and other GPSC partner to resolve critical issues and put key enablers in place for the successful execution of material optimization initiatives.
- Conduct feasibility studies and cost-benefit analyses for proposed manufacturing innovation and automation projects.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders, including product engineering, purchasing R&D, manufacturing operations, and IT to ensure seamless integration of new technologies and processes.
- Stay updated on industry trends, regulations, and advancements in manufacturing innovation to provide strategic recommendations and insights.
- Develop and deliver training programs to enhance the knowledge and skills of manufacturing teams in new technologies and processes.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of implemented solutions, identifying areas for further improvement and optimization.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications):
- Minimum of 7 years of automotive industry experience in a manufacturing role.
- 3+ years of experience in manufacturing leadership role; manufacturing, supply chain or engineering
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related field OR equivalent experience
- Comfort with ambiguity and adeptness in navigating complex, uncertain situations.
- Previous experience in manufacturing operations, process improvement, and innovation management.
- Strong, proven skills working across teams/functions/organizations to resolve issues enabling teams to achieve time-sensitive, critical tasks and objectives.
- Key experience leading material transformation – new technologies, material flow, material handling equipment automation, and Factory of the Future Material concepts.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, enabling innovative solutions.
- Strong project management abilities, including handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with cross-functional teams and external partners. Including creating master dot, and presentations to communicate progress.
- Grow and nurture teams to realize Material Execution Workplace of Choice
- Establish and grow key Material SME competencies across team to create Material leaders of the future
- Adaptability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic manufacturing environment.
- Manufacturing or supply chain launch and planning experience
- A commitment to continuous learning, staying updated on industry trends and advancements.
- Mechanical proficiency, with an understanding of mechanical systems and components.
What Can Give You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- 7+ years experience in Plant or Material operations.
- Global Experiences – including International Assignments
- Multiple different ME assignments with successful individual achievements or strong team-based achievements
- Cross-Functional assignment in another ME Center (Body, Paint, MEI, etc)
Key GM Behaviors: Be Inclusive – Values backgrounds & opinions/ideas from others, Think Customer – Safety conscious, Looking Ahead – Developing others, One Team – Collaboration & Teamwork, and building relationships, It’s on Me – Technical/professional expertise & Solves problems/analyzes issues, Winning w/ Integrity – Displays high integrity & honesty and drives for results.
Some travel, extended working hours, and varying shift schedules may be required to support Global Centers, Program Development and Launch Execution.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE