- Ensure that paint processes are maintained and running effectively for vehicle production
- Problem-solve (analyze data, determine root causes, develop implementation plans) and resolve issues which are affecting paint shop metrics and document appropriately
- Support implementation of new processes and equipment
- Communicate between shifts and departments to implement best practices, resolve problems, and sustain consistent performance to objectives.
- Maintain process documentation.
- Supervise all assigned indirect process personnel and production personnel.
- Build and maintain working relationships with employees, union, management and suppliers.
- Proactively identify and pursue opportunities to improve operations by reducing costs, reducing energy usage, improve quality, etc.
- Obey safety policy/procedures and lead by example
- Interface with production/maintenance personnel, plant leadership and others outside the plant (Manufacturing Engineering, suppliers, etc.) as needed to resolve issues, implement improvements and communicate status and opportunities, etc.
- Establish timing and action plans to complete jobs and/or projects
- Direct the design, development and/or improvements of manufacturing processes and equipment for assigned areas.
- Provide technical support for specific plant operations.
- Coordinate input from internal/external customers to better understand customer needs and/or perceptions
- Actively identify new areas for learning and take advantage of learning opportunities.
- Understand and execute PFMEA and Process Control Plans
- Understand and actively participate within the GM-Global Manufacturing System
- Be available to work any shift and overtime including weekends
- Knowledge of paint-related technologies and equipment (coatings, corrosion, sealing, etc.)
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult required
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals required
- Above average oral and written communication skills required
- Knowledge of tooling and manufacturing processes required
- Knowledge of Fanuc Paint Robots (P-500, P-700), PaintPro software, Versabell III preferred
- Knowledge of Fanuc Dispense Robots (M-710, M-20) & Nordson-SEE shotmeters preferred
- Knowledge of computer software as it pertains to manufacturing preferred
- Knowledge of Red X, Six Sigma, or other problem-solving techniques preferred
Education and Training
- College degree with a major in engineering or equivalent training
- Completion of the GM Paint Development Program preferred