This position requires the Engineer to be onsite in Warren, Michigan three-to-five days per week.
General Motors is working to set up an entire Li Ion ecosystem to source materials and assemble defect-free Lithium-Ion cells designed for use in the automotive industry and green energy projects. We are looking for a hands-on experienced Chemists to join for cell and component technical requirement development. The candidate will work and collaborate with other members in Advanced Cell Technology, Execution, R&D, Purchasing, Cell Prototyping and Commercialization. The candidate will focus on design optimization of cells, cathodes, anodes, and electrolyte materials and components for performance, cost reduction, and scalability. The individual will plan and execute synthesis to cover the entire value stream from raw materials to finished product. This work will utilize advanced analytical methods/tools in collaboration with manufacturing and computational chemistry experts to create innovative new product solutions. Major responsibilities include cell design concepts, design layout, formulation, and quality planning. The candidate will also need to respond to technical questions and data requests from customer/ partner.
What You'll Do
- Master strong theoretical and practical knowledge of cathode, anode, electrolyte, and separator materials, as well as how these components work together to make a high-performance cell.
- Lead or conduct various characterizations on the raw materials and implement traditional or innovative material synthesis techniques. Lead or conduct cell component verification and validation internally, with suppliers or third party.
- Create, design and release cell component designs and design layouts.
- Lead or carry out test to analyze properties of the cell components, draw conclusions and share reports to other members in the cross-functional group.
- Be the in-house expert in maintaining a robust and inclusive safety environment in own area of responsibility.
- Collaborate well with other team members in the cross-functional group, as well as with other teams in the company to work out solutions.
- Proactively engage with advanced technology that may be applicable for next generation raw materials, component materials, active material synthesis, manufacturing and process. Apply to own work and corporate strategies. Recommend new cell designs and new market opportunities.
- Interactively coordinate internal GM departments to meet project deliverables. This includes:
- Lead internal reviews to ensure plans and progress are evident and visible.
- Actively engage with departments’ leadership to identify issues/risks and solutions
- Develop risk management plans and oversee their execution
- Develop strategies for cost innovation; drive down cost at every opportunity
- Ensure Design For Six Sigma (DFSS), Robust Design, Reliability and Optimization are foremost at each stage of the project
- Escalate issues as appropriate
- Work with System Engineering to monitor and enforce compliance with Cell Supplier/Technology Partners and internal requirements as required.
- Support up-front Requirements capture by assisting with Voice-of-Customer and Market Changes which may alter project direction. Leverage OnStar Telematics, Big Data, Field Outcomes, Performance Testing to drive appropriate feasibility assessments. Know the details of GM and external research to drive learning or changes as required. Participate in DFMEA, PFMEA, BOD, BOM, BOP, BOE development and discussions to feed forward all project learning. Embrace and leverage math-based tools, Finite Element, machine learning, numerical methods, statistics for design, project management, scheduling and cost driver sensitivity.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Masters in Chemistry, Materials, Chemical, Electrochemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience leading projects with external supplier/partners through complete product development cycles. Demonstrated budgeting and on-time, accurate payments related to spending forecasts
- Extensive experience with Li Ion raw materials chemistry and electrochemistry
- Strong hands-on knowledge with electrolyte, cathode, anode and separator materials and processing for Lithium-Ion battery. Demonstrated understanding and practice of solid electrolyte and/or Li Metal materials and cell design
- Proficiency in chemical handling and safe lab practices, experience with industrial workplace hazards and corresponding programs is a plus
- Familiar with various material characterization techniques, such as SEM, XRD, PSD, BET, TGA, etc.
- Demonstrated experience writing winning proposals, development agreements and executive summaries
- Demonstrated experience writing Statements of Development Work (SODW) and Statement of Requirements (SOR)
- Ability to work multi-task with cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- PhD in Chemistry, Materials, Chemical, Electrochemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Familiar and/or practicing with computational chemistry and software such as COMSOL, BIOVIA Material Design Studio, Battery Design Studio, Python, MatLab, TeamCenter, NX, Model Center, etc.
General Motors는 법적으로 금지된 차별을 배제하는 것은 물론 포용성과 소속감을 진정으로 장려하는 직장이 되기 위해 노력하고 있습니다. 당사는 다양성이 보장되는 환경에서 직원들이 역량을 발휘하고 우리 고객을 위한 더 좋은 제품을 개발할 수 있다고 믿습니다. 따라서 입사에 관심 있는 사람이 있다면 포지션별 주요 업무와 자격을 확인하고 본인이 보유한 기술과 능력에 부합하는 모든 포지션에 적극적으로 지원하기를 장려합니다. 지원자는 채용 과정에서 역할 관련 평가(해당하는 경우) 및/또는 채용 전 스크리닝을 통과해야 합니다. 자세한 정보는 GM 채용 과정 안내를 참고하십시오.
공평한 취업 기회 선언 (미국)
General Motors는 공평한 기회를 제공하는 고용주임을 자부합니다. 자격을 만족하는 지원자는 인종과 피부색, 성별, 성적 지향, 성별 정체성, 국적, 장애, 재향 군인 보호법 적용 여부와 상관없이 채용 후보로서 심사를 받습니다.
숙소 (미국 및 캐나다)
General Motors는 장애인을 포함한 모든 구직자들에게 취업 기회를 제공합니다. 구직이나 취업 지원에 도움이 되는 합리적인 숙소가 필요한 경우 Careers.Accommodations@GM.com으로 이메일을 보내시거나 800-865-7580으로 전화주십시오. 이메일에, 귀하가 요청하는 특정한 숙소에 대한 설명과 귀하가 지원하는 직무와 채용 요청서 번호를 포함해주세요.