This is a Hybrid position within BrightDrop. The role will allow employees to work remotely, but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to live within a commutable distance to the innovation center they are selected for. Relocation assistance is provided for candidates that meet the relocation requirements.
At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to the Trace and software that demonstrates real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce.
To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future. From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and meticulous thinking to deliver a better future for generations to come.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live! We currently have rare opportunities to join a fast-growing team in early stages of design, and to have a real impact on the products, technologies and work processes.
Would you like to have a meaningful impact on the product and on the technology behind it? Do you know how to make things better, and have the passion and drive to go for it? Are you hoping for an engineering playground where you can ignite your creativity? If so, we’re looking for YOU!
Senior Electrical Engineer to own and lead the design and development of low-voltage battery-related subsystems (<60V) for BrightDrop Trace product lines.
- Define battery types, technologies, and features that best serve and meet the needs of BrightDrop Trace product lines
- Collaborate with engineering, including FW, ME, System, Validation, and others to integrate battery and charging solutions into the product design and development
- Work closely with contract manufacturers and other partners as the technical point of contact to ensure technical alignment during development, testing, integration, troubleshooting, validations, certifications, and manufacturing
- Design and develop power management and distribution subsystems, including schematic design, layout, and testing
- Manage development schedule and test plans, and align with program management on execution
- Hands-on testing, integration and troubleshooting to ensure proper multi-disciplinary development
- Stay up-to-date with the latest battery technology and industry trends, and recommend improvements to existing designs
Minimum Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field
- 7+ years of experience developing electrical systems with focus on low voltage battery and power (<60V), and familiarity with CAN and similar communications and with basic processing and control
- Deep familiarity with battery technology, including cell characteristics and balancing, BMS architecture, monitoring and protection features such as SOC, OCV, SOH, overcharge and discharge, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot complex multidisciplinary systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with a track record of working effectively with cross-functional teams and contract manufacturers
- Hands-on approach and a can-do attitude, active and driven, with strong sense of ownership. Able to work in a fast-paced environment, with ambiguity and frequently changing requirements
- Familiarity with industry standards and regulations related to batteries, such as UL, IEC, and IEEE
Desired Skills / Experience
- Familiarity with system engineering concepts, considerations, methods, and tools
- Familiarity with manufacturing process, and with electronic certifications and regulations
Compensation: The compensation information is a good faith estimate only. It is based on what a successful applicant in the California Bay Area which includes the following counties: Marin, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz might be paid in accordance with the California law. The compensation may not be representative for positions located outside of the California Bay Area.
The salary compensation range for this role: $130,000 - $190,600
- The expected base compensation for this role is: ($130,000 and MAX $200,000) Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance
GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.