This is a Hybrid position. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week.
About the role:
As a General Motors Database Administrator you will be responsible for learning, understanding and championship Data Management concepts & practices, Logical Data Models, Database Standards, Tool Standards, Implementation of Database technologies, Support of Database Technologies, etc. This role is noted within GM as an entry level position. In this role, you are expected to have learned basic capabilities required of a Database Administrator along with a general familiarity of industry standard database architectural patterns, technologies and processes. Additional responsibilities will typically entail working under the direction of a more senior Database Administrator or Architect while contributing to ongoing operations of the Database Management ecosystem. A Database Operator will also peer review and possibly mentor other Operators.
- You have above average knowledge & Database Standards, Practices & Policies to effect successful implementation & expected behaviors from Database management systems
- Understand, validate & communicate, peer review & Implement requirements from IT Partners supporting either implementation or support of Database management systems
- Prepare & assist with analysis to support decision making processes of senior staff or IT partners
- Perform assigned tasks using established procedures, policies and process
- Perform & maintain all documentation supporting effective change control, business continuity & sustainment of Database systems
- Provide solutions to Database Management problems of moderate scope and complexity
- Collaborate with peers & IT Partners in execution of assigned duties.
- Participation in On-Call rotations or Shift work as required by specific role or assignment
- Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and creates a winning culture.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- 4 - 6 years of database experience
- You are passionate about learning new, leading edge technologies
- 3+ years experience working on SQL Server database technology
3+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience required preferably related to production support and on call
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus