Leads guides and directs a small to large group of strategy focused individuals/teams responsible for the development of new strategies and plans based on business needs. Leads the execution of delivering strategic direction and competitive data cross-functionally to a variety of teams. Provides technical leadership to work teams. Conducts regularly scheduled group meetings, communicates strategy findings to leadership at all levels. Manages teams that provide internal clients with competitive feedback on consumer trends, product concepts, portfolios, segment trends, technologies and sales concpets as well as other relevant business issues. Consult and collaborate with cross-functional teams to frame business needs and translate those into strategic direction. Understands key strategic issues facing GM and works to direct teams to provide valuable infomration in support of the company with an external consumer and competitive perspective. Develop and deliver effective presentations and written reports to multiple GM leadershop levels and functions. This job description is intended to set forth the core functions required for this position and describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to do this job. Employees may be assigned additional responsibilities as needed. The company reserves the discretion to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of the company’s business, competitive considerations or the work environment changes. This document describes the position as currently available and is not an employment contract.
This role manages a multi-disciplinary group and directs portfolio spend to shape the vehicle, infotainment, connectivity, intelligent driving, and digital product vision, roadmap, and experience for GM’s premium import business (GMPI) in China. The role reports directly to the head of China digital business team and indirectly to the President and Managing Director of The Durant Guild.
The role manages teams in 5 main categories: Vehicle product planning and marketing, Intelligent Connected Vehicle (ICV) products and services, Digital Channel Management, Program Management, and Digital Design (UX/UI). The group monitors and works closely with the customer, business, and market to understand trends, priorities, and goals and designs ideal products and services to address or achieve them. Team members work closely with GMPI Technical Delivery and GM Engineering teams to find technical solutions to best achieve the intended design.
A successful candidate can lead the strategy, planning, product development, and digital operations of a successful digital operation in China. Familiarity with technical planning and architecture, software development processes, backoffice systems and services is a plus.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify market opportunities & lead strategy and planning of future vehicle portfolio and ICV products and services to optimize revenue and enterprise value for GMPI
- Develop and maintain customer-facing digital channels (mobile apps, websites, WeChat mini-app)
- Develop and maintain internal digital tools (i.e., Payment, CRM, etc.)
- Develop digital design strategies to deliver cohesive, world-class experiences our customers will love
- Lead EV strategies around wall charger, digital experience, charging coverage, and benefits package
- Develop ICV commercialization strategy & manage and operate ICV services
- Steer disciplined digital product development process and coordinate with local teams on program deliverables management as well as drive/support gate reviews and decision approvals
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent product knowledge – both vehicle portfolio planning, ICV, and digital domains
- 10-15 years leadership experience in digital and connected vehicle areas
- Cross functional management experience preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to present data and product recommendations to senior management
- BS or BA is required, Master preferred
Skills & Abilities:
- Imperative to be able to lead, navigate and operate effectively in a Chinese start-up like environment
- High degree of adaptability with ambiguity; this is a new business model with a unique approach of direct to consumer
- High degree of organizational and strategic agility to build effective teams inside GM China (with local employees) and utilize leadership acumen as team works with GM globally
- Strong business acumen and experience in both operational and strategic areas; This role is a key business decision maker inside GM China
- Managerial courage and command skills
- Shrewd negotiator with ability to relate current context and past precedent as impact on future decisions
- Proven ability to understand complex business issues and be able to make good judgment when faced with trade-off
- Patience and perseverance especially when dealing with daily operational environment
- Ability to excel in dynamic, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
Final level to offer is subject to the candidate's background and experience