About the Role
From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing.
We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed, and business value.
GM Information Technology is seeking to attract experienced and proven technical experts in various Mainframe technology areas that support our long-term strategic plans to further leverage the efficiencies possible with IBM Parallel Sysplex. The team is responsible for maintenance, performance optimization, capacity management, master scheduling, service continuity, implementation of global monitoring and automation solutions, and driving best-in-class availability across GM’s mainframe platforms.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. The GM Mainframe team have re-platformed all Mainframe applications from the insourced lpars to new data sharing Sysplex environments.
The IMS Mainframe Systems Database Systems Programmer will work with other organizations in the deployment, management, and support of all mainframe databases worldwide.
This includes but is not limited to: working closely with database vendors, infrastructure groups, DBAs, and application teams to proactively install database software (Db2 and IMS), monitor, manage, control, and upgrade (configuration, patching, refresh) consistently across GM’s mainframe database landscape. This individual will be responsible for performance optimization, capacity management, master scheduling, resolving production control issues and DBMS problems, implementation of global monitoring and automation solutions driving best-in-class availability across GM’s mainframe database platforms.
Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week.
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals to work in an organization with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
- Leader in the mainframe space. Ability to articulate and document mainframe product roadmap and bring a team on that journey.
- Provides thought leadership and Technical Architect support for HW and SW solutions
- Experience in the wider IT infrastructure and the interfaces with the z/OS platform (e.g. APIs/CICD software development pipelines/Linux)
- The ability to translate product roadmaps to real business value.
- 5+ years’ relevant technical experience
- An Arts/Science degree or STEM qualification advantageous.
- Owns and produces documentation. Ability to translate technical details into concise and easy to understand written form.
- Ability to support systems in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Knowledge of and experience with using Db2 and IMS commands to start and stop, alter buffer pools, perform recovery, list threads and determine their status, manipulate Db2 and or IMS connections with other subsystems (including CICS, MQ).
- Experience of Db2 and IMS and associated product system installs, upgrades, de-installs, application of maintenance.
- Knowledge of Db2 and IMS security.
- Working knowledge of Db2 and IMS system internals and configuration.
- Working knowledge of IBM Performance and Monitoring Products.
- Ability to utilize system diagnostics to arrive at problem solutions (Messages and Codes, dumps, console messages, IBM Redbooks etc.)
- Proficient with SMP/E (commands, terminology, problem determination). Ability to use SMP/E to apply maintenance, perform installs, and maintain SMP/E environments.
- Experienced with REXX, CLIST programming, and Dialog Manager with examples of code available on request.
- Expertise working with application development teams in large, complex organizations
- Global Information Tracker
- IBM Data Studio
- IBM Data Virtualization Manager
- IBM Db2 Administration
- IBM Db2 and IMS Connect
- IBM Db2 and IMS utilities
- IBM Db2 Log Analysis Tool
- IBM Db2 SQL Performance Analyzer
- IBM Developer for z/OS
- IBM IMS Performance Analyzer
- IBM IMS Problem Investigator
- IBM InfoSphere Data Replication Change Data Capture
- IBM Modernize IT Operations Management
- IBM Query Monitor
- IBM System Modification Program Extended
- IBM UrbanCode Deploy
- IBM Z Workload Scheduler
- IBM’s InfoSphere Replication Server for z/OS
- IMS Catalog
- IMS Explorer
- IMS Repository
- InfoSphere Optim for Db2 for z/OS
Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week