GM's Design Fabrication group is seeking an Engineering Manager who will manage a team of designers and engineers who support the development and build of concept vehicles and Design property builds for internal leadership and external public reveals. In this role, you will provide support, leadership and technical direction to the Design Fabrication team and collaborate with the Design Studios, all Fabrication Shops, outside vendors, material suppliers, and the program management team to ensure successful, on time builds of studio properties and concept vehicles.
Come join a team that plays an integral part of creating some of the most exciting vehicles in the automotive industry!
This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibits a safety approach while identifying, taking ownership, and resolving safety concerns and supporting the safety champions of each space in Design
- Fabrication Domain Professional
- Guides respective shops and groups to build all DFO properties to a high level of quality, in less time
- Stimulate an environment of teamwork, support teams in property builds, and support multi-disciplined teams to increase throughput in DFO
- Provide feedback on team performance to leadership, identify gaps in skills and processes, provide mentorship to correct skill gaps. Work towards continuous improvement.
- Comprehend and execute models to program timelines and all relating model quality requirements with speed and accuracy.
- Frequently assists in developing solutions to engineering and design problems
- Develop, plan and execute strategies for vehicle and component fabrication in a dynamic environment
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and or Managerial subject area or equivalent experience
- Excellent collaborative communication skills with customers and all stakeholders
- Demonstrates the courage to make the changes that will improve the organization and helps others overcome their resistance to change
- A drive for innovation and exploration of new processes and build practices that increase quality and dependability with competitive timing
- Proficiency with Siemens NX CAD software and proven modeling processes
- Proficiency with Alias and knowledge of surfacing processes
- High level of fabrication knowledge and ability relative to concept vehicles and properties
- Experience in mold and tool making and related materials.
- Ability to evaluate highly complex build issues and recommend processes and material choices for each component
- Capable of bench engineering unique solutions for complex build issues
- Demonstrates behaviors that support diversity and inclusion within the organization
- Knowledge of machine tools, additive manufacturing, welding, metal, paint and woodworking technologies and equipment and all processes for property fabrication
- Ability to influence others within the organization to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent technical breadth, organizational, administrative and leadership skills
- Skilled at drafting purchasing documents; Statement of Requirements, Business Cases, Sourcing Documents etc. and GPSC procurement processes
- Proven ability to form relationships with suppliers to address issues with urgency, remove roadblocks, and develop near term innovation strategy
- Functional understanding of prototype/show vehicle structure, including chassis engineering, suspension components, and electronic innovation
- Functional understanding of motors, actuators, and illumination that are likely to be encountered in prototype vehicles