GM Supplier Quality Engineers (SQEs) prioritize safety in everything we do, while maintaining an inclusive work environment, to protect our customers in support of GM’s vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. A GM SQE is primarily responsible to execute the Advanced Product Quality Planning process with their assigned suppliers. They adopt a flexible workplace approach to achieve results within defined metrics and expectations and lead their suppliers in strategic improvements. Traveling to supplier and GM facilities is necessary to ensure robust quality plans are in place and executed (up to approximately 50% of the working days per year). Trips will vary in frequency, duration, and location based on assignments.
As a GM SQE, your core responsibility is the execution of the Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) process. This typically includes review of program progress to milestones and identifying/mitigating risks to GM and our customers. You will also assure supplier understanding of, and compliance to, APQP processes such as Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Quality plans (Control Plans, FMEA), and Run at Rate verification.
Taking a proactive approach is critical to your success as a GM SQE. Reviewing manufacturing processes and quality systems to identify risks and prevent issues protects GM and our customers. We work to build our suppliers’ performance through technical support, continuous improvement activities, and assistance in identifying opportunities during launch, ongoing production, and implementation of changes. You will develop, maintain, and ensure adherence to GM standards while verifying our suppliers’ quality and manufacturing processes identify and protect our customers when those requirements are not met.
Your ability to quickly collaborate with cross-functional teams to facilitate, or lead, root cause analysis and corrective actions determination when issues arise is pivotal for this role. Successful SQEs look to tackle problems quickly. You will also verify on-site implementation of their supplier’s corrective actions and the appropriate read-across of the learnings.
1, Co-work with Engineering and purchasing for pre-sourcing activities:
• Participant in technical review with buyer and engineering for advanced sourcing support
• Conduct new supplier assessment by PSA or PCPA, and approve or develop new suppliers per request to support buyer for new program sourcing
2, Supplier management for APQP monitoring and flawless launch:
• Participate in regular PDT meeting and take an active role for Open Issues review and moving.
• Conduct joint Supplier Readiness Valve review with cross-functional team within required date, conduct EPC(GP12) audit, PPAP and Run @ Rate approval, escalate risk and drive issue resolved timely.
• Work with global engineering for DFMEA/PFMEA connectivity and risk mitigation.
• Ensure required material with required quality for each launch build by on-site confirmation.
3, Supplier management for mass production and warranty issue:
• Lead supplier problem solving for customer complaint (PPO/ Plant/ Warranty) in time. Follow SPPS/ PRTS steps in time. Create supplier lessons learned for Global Read Across and delivery Global Read Across to suppliers.
• Train and develop supplier to meet BIQS requirement.
• Conduct supplier process audit regularly, drive supplier PFMEA/ PCP/ WI compliant and being implemented.
• Drive supplier continuous improvement by Red-X, OPEX and DFSS tool
• Participate or lead global SQ-SOR S-PCPA creation or modification
• Urgent quality/ material or tooling development support for GM other regions
• Global support/ JV support per business need
- Joint venture connection for common supplier management strategy and workshops
• Bachelor’s degree or above under engineering background.
• At least 5 years automatic industry experience, GM business experience is preferred.
- Prefer strong knowledge on painting or chroming process
• Program Management and/ or quality relative experience, strong knowledge of AIAG quality tools (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, MSA and SPC).
• Experienced on injection molding process required
• Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to develop possible solution.
• Strong knowledge of GM procedures, tools, such as GM1927, BIQS.
- Strong communication skill on driving business result, with fluent English capability both in written and oral. Workshop organizing ability.
- Agility of new technology, curious and quick to learn new knowledge.
• Able to travel on short notice, travel frequency 50%+
• Be flexible to rapidly respond to new situations and multi-task.
• Be willing to conduct and participate in cross function team conference calls outside normal working hours.