As a Tech leader, you will be responsible for leading several teams focused on driving our cross sell user experience delivery taking a significant level of ownership and guidance to this area. You will lead your team to design and build technical solutions that enable customers to review, interact and purchase the most relevant products easily within our web and app platforms. The Tech leader will be responsible for managing a cross functional team of Software Engineers, QA Engineers, Product Owners, and Scrum Leaders ranging from entry level to experienced professionals. They will work closely with business stakeholders to drive the delivery of innovative digital products to support stakeholder goals. A successful candidate will have a solid background in building teams, delivering technology solutions, integrating with enterprise applications, data architecture, and agile software development methodologies. Experience creating eCommerce applications, web applications, or mobile applications is a plus. You will:
- Lead the performance of multiple teams on your scope, as well as driving the technical agenda of your area with long-term reliability planning. You will support the execution of the HOW, and challenge the WHAT with the product leads.
- Coach, support and set Engineering Managers in your team up for success. Having a consistent track record of expertise growing technical leaders and managers, the successful candidate will facilitate the growth of our future engineering leaders.
- Act as technical leader to propose, act and solve issues, impediments or blockers (typically not only on the scope of a single team). This means you will facilitate your teams’ execution of their backlog by removing technical roadblocks, either internally or with external stakeholders.
- Management of managers and senior individual contributors alike. This means establishing their S.M.A.R.T or measurable objectives, cascaded from the team level and individually, via individual development plans, performance improvement plans or growth plans.
- Responsible for bringing in the right people, with domain expertise, or to grow those that don’t have it, into it.
- Dually responsible for the collective software delivery, reliability and resilience as well as organisational health of all teams under your scope.
- As a senior manager, you should always act fairly, responsibly, exhibit role model behaviours and be an ambassador of GM core values.
- Provide architectural guidance and deliver innovation underpinned by technical excellence.
- Lead the activities of a software engineering team to meet business priorities and commitments.
- Lead engineering staff in the definition and development of products working collaboratively with business units and other technology teams. Identify gaps in product roadmaps and lead or direct associated new product definition based on identified business needs. Negotiate with business stakeholders to ensure roadmap priorities are clear and achievable milestones are established.
- Lead the design and creation of system requirements and architecture, software requirements and architecture, including data architecture and interface specifications.
- Lead the software development activities across teams to ensure high velocity while delivering world-class green field software across many channels (Backend, Web, Mobile, Social).
- Ensure software products are designed and developed using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies and in accordance with GM’s software development best practices related to standards in code quality, performance, stability, and security.
- Build healthy relationships with peers and promote sharing of software, designs, architecture, and systems designs across multiple teams, business units, and product platforms.
- Provide career development coaching and mentoring activities for team members.
- Participate in HR activities including reviewing staffing requirements based on product plans, interviewing, hiring, training, and regularly evaluating team member performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field AND a minimum of 10 years leading the design and development of digital products and leading technical teams.
- Expertise in modern development architectures and technologies like Azure, Kubernetes, and Microservices.
- Experience leading teams in Agile software methodologies.
- Experience leading business facing relationships, partnering with the business to deliver digital solutions.
- Experience creating strategic roadmaps for applications, including maintaining adherence to standards (Five Star).
- Must possess a high level of initiative, energy and drive with a results-oriented track record and commitment to success.
- Must possess strong teamwork culture and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams, building a Workplace of Choice.
- Must possess strong analytical skills, business judgment and decision-making abilities, and superior critical thinking skills.
- Deep technical expertise and thorough hands-on experience modern, interoperable, web systems development (8+ years working in technology)
- Demonstrable experience in shaping and leading a software engineering platform function (5+ years as a manager)
- Experience of building front end platforms and Micro Front End architecture for mobile applications or web experiences
- Demonstrable experience building solutions using service oriented architectures
- Experience of leading directly a team as well as through others
- Track record shaping products from concept through delivery at scale
- Natural leader and communicator who is collaborative and builds great relationships
- Clear verbal & written communication, able to explain technical topics to non-technical stakeholders
- An interest in connecting the dots and collaborating with various stakeholders to prioritize what maximizes business value
- Experience managing global teams across various time zones.
- 7+ years developing Cloud Native 12-factor apps including designing and implementing Continuous Integration, Build, and Delivery.
- Microsoft Azure Cloud experience; Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience with Microservices and Micro Frontend frameworks.
- Experience with Mobile development with Flutter or React Native.
- Experience with Responsive Web, Accessibility Standards, Semantic Markup and Structured CSS.
- You will be required to have broad software project delivery experience in leading technical efforts developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks and technologies
- Demonstrate mastery of numerous programming languages, tools and/or technologies
- Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement, automation technologies
- Proactively engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Design Integration Solutions or Integrate software with existing software/systems
- Automates unit/end-to-end testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability
- Experienced knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems. Proactively engage in the remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Provides technical guidance and mentoring of fellow software developers and other team members
- Possess technical writing knowledge around system design specification and user documentation of software systems and ensure compliance
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standard methodology
- Provides mentorship, coaching and/or training to others as appropriate. Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and crafts a winning culture.
This role will also have direct responsibility for or will work closely with architects and/or data scientists to ensure code alignment with design