Manufacturing Metallurgist Intern
Sponsorship: GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Onsite : This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Assist with routine metallurgical and physical analysis and laboratory testing of submitted or self-collected samples of materials used in products and manufacturing processes. Works without continual supervision, but is frequently instructed and checked by the manager.
Assist in Technical Support Activities such as:
- Materials testing, standardization, and reporting in metallurgical laboratory
- Makes reports and recommendations based upon test analyses
- Process modifications and continuous improvement
- Process management and quality documentation (i.e. error proofing, PFMEA, Process Control Plan)
- Production and maintenance support and guidance in heat treating areas (technical troubleshooting, direction, and operator training as it relates to the metallurgical processes)
- Establishes and evaluates testing techniques and procedure
- Planning activities
- Audits metallurgical processes to defined requirements (CQI-9.
- Safely operates, verifies calibration, and maintains laboratory equipment (magnetic particle inspection, band saw, abrasive cut off saw, grinders, polishers, hardness testers, microscopes, image analysis systems, carbon determinator)
- Conducts appropriate chemical, metallurgical, and physical tests of process or production material with the use of precision laboratory equipment.
- Approves material meeting established criteria and reports exceptions.
- Maintains complete and accurate test records.
- Adjusts technical processes based on test results.
- Maintains safety and good housekeeping standards and continuously improves standardized work.
- Inputs raw information into results database and provides analysis.
- Provides written reports of analysis.
- Interacts with various manufacturing database systems.
We have opportunities available in the below locations for this role. Please indicate in your application which of these locations you are interested in.
- Toledo, OH
- Bedford, IN
- Pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Metallurgy or Materials Science Engineering
- Must be graduating between December 2024 and May 2027
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Able to work a minimum of 40 hours per week
What will give you a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Knowledge of materials, substances, and their characteristics
- Comfortable with technology tools (i.e. PCs, Microsoft Office, web-front data bases, PLCs, CNCs, robots)
- Problem solving and resolution (Red X)
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and collaboration skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
- Excellent project management skills and the proven ability to manage multiple projects at any given
The start date for these Internship roles are for May & June of 2024 Spring/Summer Internship
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to eligible students selected for the 2024 Student Program.
The salary range for this role is $4,000-$4,900, dependent upon class status and degree.
- Benefit options are not available for this role