PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Chandler, AZ OR Warren, MI
About the General Motors Product Development Team:
As part of the larger GM’s Global Product Development, we are driving innovation that enables an integrated set of business processes through time-tested IT principles combined with cutting-edge technologies and analytics. Our charter is to create an environment where information is provided timely, accurately and readily available to our decision makers across our engineering, transmission and electrical systems specialists.
About the role:
The Java Developer is responsible for developing software applications using sound, repeatable, industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development project methodology. The Java Developer will work hands-on writing code based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Developers may specialize in a particular software package or coding language. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new programs to address a specific need or solve a particular business problem. This role will contribute to all development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies (e.g. Agile, Incremental, Spiral...), application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
- Coding, unit testing and debugging applications in various software languages
- Software testing and quality assurance
- Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation
- Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides meet requirements
- Integrate software with existing systems
- Maintain standards compliance
- Proactively engage in the remediation of software issues related to code quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks. Provides guidance and coaching to associate software developers
- Ensure development artifacts are in alignment with patterns/ frameworks designed by software engineering teams
- Bachelor's degree in technical discipline preferred or equivalent experience required.
- Must have 4+ years’ hands-on work experience in software development
- Work experience in the following areas with all or some of the noted technology:
Frameworks: Struts, Spring, .NET, Jquery, ExtJS
Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, DB2,PL/SQL Programming, Stored Procedure Development, Performance Tuning, Data warehouses/ETL tools
Web Application Servers: WebSphere, WebLogic, TomCat, IIS
Development Environments: Eclipse, Jdeveloper, Visual Studio
Major Standards: AJAX, JSON
OS: Linux, UNIX, Android, iOS
Tools: QC/ALM, Performance Center, QTP, Selenium, Subversion, Rally, Teamforge, Rational suite, Hudson/Jenkins, Sonar
Methodologies: Agile, Spiral, Waterfall, Iterative
- Must have experience in maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Must have knowledge of writing program documentation
- Must have in-depth technical knowledge of the current hardware
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of used operating systems
- Must have knowledge of standard development tools
- Must possess skills in providing advice, training and technical support for various projects
- Possess excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on verbal and written communication
- Ability to document deliverables
- Understand code quality analysis results and remediation mechanisms
- Bachelors’ Degree in related discipline – Computer Science strongly preferred
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.