PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP NOW OR IN THE FUTURE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Preference for candidates in Austin, TX but will also consider Phoenix, AZ – Atlanta, GA – Warren, MI
About the General Motors Operations DBA Team:
GM is enabling an unparalleled IT transformation, enabling the latest technology trends, unleashing IT innovation, in an effort to help GM to design, build, and sell the world’s best vehicles. The Global Database Services organization is supporting that initiative by providing for all aspects of database technology strategy, deployment, monitoring, and operations of GM databases in an effort to provide GM with the best managed database solutions in the world.
The database operations team, within Global Database Services, is chartered with providing best-in-class Database Management System (DBMS) operations solutions to our IT application partners world-wide. The team is responsible for trouble shooting all aspects of database operations in a way that ensures GM’s data is secure, highly available, current, flexible, and monitored. Team members are to be “trusted advisors” to each and every application team they support.
About the role:
GM is looking for a Database Administrator with advanced proficiency in both SQL Server and DB2 LUW for the midrange to join one of our teams in one of the following locations: Austin, Phoenix, Atlanta, Warren.
The SQL Server/DB2 LUW DBA - Operations will work with other GMIT organizations in support and management of all GM SQL Server and DB2 LUW databases world-wide. This includes working closely with database vendors, infrastructure groups, other DBAs, and application teams to proactively administer, monitor, manage, control, upgrade, and patch across GM’s database landscape.
This individual will be responsible for the global monitoring and 24x7 resolution of database incidents, while working with a team of SQL Server and DB2 LUW DBAs. This individual will provide DBMS expertise to application teams during incident resolution, be a point of escalation for on-call resources, and work to proactively deliver best-in-class availability across GM’s database platforms.
This business critical role will provide around-the-clock, active monitoring of GM’s critical database infrastructure & features flexible shift opportunities.
Why General Motors?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum 5 years Information Technology experience with 3+ years’ enterprise database experience
- 3+ years’ experience in SQL Server 2008 and above(specifically 2008 R2, 2012, and 2014), Replication, AlwaysOn, Performance Analysis and Optimization, SQL and Database Tuning, Database Security, Encryption, SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, T-SQL, Stored Procedures, etc.
- Advanced experience with DB2 LUW Database technologies
- Extensive technical knowledge across multiple technology areas including: .Net framework, performance tuning, storage, networking, client libraries
- Experience with data modeling, database design, and database patching methodologies
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and communication skills (written & verbal)
- Great team player with the ability to juggle multiple priorities with a degree of ambiguity
- Experience with more recent versions of SQL Server, specifically 2008 R2, 2012, and 2014
- Strong exposure to Always On and high availability
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry. GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.