At the new General Motors, we are passionate aboutdesigning, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This visionunites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of ourcustomer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happenwith the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing ourindustry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar. Our202,000 employees work in 158 facilities touching six continents, they speakmore than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing andengineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles andtechnologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valuedfor their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who arelooking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
The Grand Rapids Plant has been building precision machinedautomotive components for almost 70 years. It is the original home of theDiesel Equipment Division of General Motors and is well known for its valvetrain components. Through the years, it has been a part of the RochesterProducts Division, AC Rochester Division, and the Energy & Chassis Divisionof Delphi. Currently it is one of four plants that make up the GMCHconsolidated subsidiary of GM.
Gear Machining Group Leader
Responsible for providing direction, coordination and follow-up necessary to the administration of Program Launch for new Machining area. Work independently under general direction of a supervisor. Work involves a considerable amount of perception and initiative in order to make decisions.
Act as launch team lead for Gear Machining processes and teams:
- Function as Business Planner for new machining area
- Coordinate support group activities related to program machining processes and run off activities
- Work with CME to coordinate timing of equipment installation with production process requirements
- Assist in gamma build process
- Act as champion for integrating GMS processes into new product Launch
- Lead build activities related to gamma, pilot, PPV, PPAP, and ramp up.
- Plan and execute training for machining teams
- Manage Workstation and operator readiness process
- Reports planning progress to management
- Directs planning activities of production department coordinators
- Regular contact with others outside the work group
- Establishes a course of action to accomplish completion of the job and/or project
- Coordinates input from internal/external customers to better understand customer needs and/or perceptions
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- 3yr commitment to project
- Ability to work off shift hours (2nd & 3rd Shifts)
- Ability to travel (domestic and international) for extended periods of time
- Thorough knowledge of gear manufacturing processes including heat treat
- Oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners
- Process and product knowledge of gear manufacturing
- Project management experience
- Previous experience supervising
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively use computer software
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training, plus training such as that acquired in the first one or two years of technical school or college