The Vehicle Software Integration Engineer (VSIE) is responsible for the integration and high-level testing of vehicle electronic control systems on New/Major/Mid-Cycle vehicle development programs. This includes the serial data interfaces, software functionality and diagnostics. New/Major/Mid-Cycle vehicle programs may include advanced/new architectures, technology and electronics built in multiple vehicle assembly plants globally. A high level of independent judgment and initiative is required. The VSIE may exercise technical direction over other engineers or engineering support personnel and may have work direction responsibilities over a group with specific engineering objectives.
- Leads and executes bench-level Design Integration Testing (DIT) of software releases prior to vehicle builds and rides in order to identify and resolve significant software integration issues. (Coordinates with Bench Lead Engineers, Controls Managers, Validation, and DRE's)
- Participate in meetings (as required) and provide feedback to management teams on all issues that impact software or timing.
- Support/Conduct Readiness Testing with Assembly Verification team.
- Review/Approve Development vehicle software/hardware configurations with Controls Manager prior to tests and ride trips
- Coordinate Master Parts List creation for serial data components for pre-production builds to allow flash programming.
- Support pre-production data file readiness and software assessment and create pre-production Software and Calibrations documentation.
- Support pre-production and production build activities and vehicle ride trips as required
- Support software data file and vehicle assembly plant broadcast status checks for programming readiness for all major pre-SORP in-plant build buckets.
- Monitor End of Line Test results during vehicle launch and assist in investigation of issues.
- Support root-cause effort for problem resolution to component level
- Plans and implements test and/or development programs
- Communicates, coordinates, and consults with engineering departments and customers
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products
- Travels as required
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Experience with common electrical test equipment (meter, scopes, etc.)
- Experience with serial data communication protocols (GMLAN, MOST, LIN, etc.)
- Experience with common serial data test equipment (NeoVI, DiComPhySys, DPS Tool, etc.)
- Experience with automotive electrical systems and functional sub-systems
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of operation of mechanical/electrical mechanisms
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Exhibits appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals
- Specific knowledge of engineering discipline (e.g. mechanics, physics, metallurgy, manufacturing methods, electronics, software, control systems) within job-related area
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- Knowledge of engineering software and systems as it pertains to job-related area
- Five or more years of experience in job-related area
- This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
Education and/or Training
- Candidate should have one of the following engineering degrees: BSE, BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Aeronautical Engineering