The Portfolio Cost Engineer will collaborate with GM’s Planning (Manufacturing, Portfolio/Platform) and Advanced Program Development (AVD) functions to develop material cost impacts to respond to Planning Studies. In this role, the Portfolio Cost Engineer will articulate available donor vehicle cost estimates, key cost drivers (including regional factors and exchange rate assumptions) and content alignment / tradeoffs to teams across GM’s various business units and to all levels within the organization. The Portfolio Cost Engineer will drive cost-effective decisions to establish directional material cost impact for these studies and associated scenarios.
This position requires strong leadership skills and project aptitude as it relates to GM vehicle development process, cost and finance tools. The work in the Portfolio Cost Engineer role involves a high level of independent judgment, initiative, creativity, and the oversight of multiple planning studies that focus specifically on developing and articulating content alignment and cost formulation / allocation.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Developing portfolio cost analysis to identify key cost drivers - integrating assembly, footprint and product factors
- Coordinate with AVD Cost Engineering to develop and review planning studies, analysis methodology and studied material cost impact; leverage AVD Cost Engineering input where required
- Observing and translating manufacturing process parameters into key cost drivers
- Supporting GM’s engineering and purchasing teams during planning stage of early vehicle development
- Collaborating globally to improve cost knowledge in all manufacturing locations
- 5+ years’ relevant cost engineering experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, other technical field or Business
- Broad familiarity and working knowledge of overall vehicle Bill of Material (BoM)
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical abilities where issues are complex/ambiguous
- Ability to prioritize assignments/projects and multi-task within restricted time constraints
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, with a keen attention to detail
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Master’s degree – Technical or Business
- Previous Vehicle Program or AVD experience