At the new General Motors, we are passionate aboutdesigning, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This visionunites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of ourcustomer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happenwith the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing ourindustry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar. Our202,000 employees work in 158 facilities touching six continents, they speakmore than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing andengineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles andtechnologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valuedfor their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who arelooking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
The Grand Rapids Plant has been building precision machinedautomotive components for almost 70 years. It is the original home of theDiesel Equipment Division of General Motors and is well known for its valvetrain components. Through the years, it has been a part of the RochesterProducts Division, AC Rochester Division, and the Energy & Chassis Divisionof Delphi. Currently it is one of four plants that make up the GMCHconsolidated subsidiary of GM.
GeneralPurpose of Position:
Leada medium size group of employees in a skilled area of work which involves therepair and maintenance of both manufacturing and plant equipment. Work is of a technical nature with decisionsmade within the limits of general procedures and specifications.
MajorDuties & Responsibilities:
- Supervisemaintenance activities and projects including machinery moves/installs
- Manage projectand facility support crews including preventative maintenance tasks
- Manage centralshops (Tool Rm, Fabrication Shop, Electric Shop)
- Manage wastewater treatment crew
- Serve as leadmanagement representative on Apprenticeship Committee
- Serve as chair ofFall Hazard Control Committee
- Responsible fordiagnosis of equipment malfunctions
- Responsible foreffective use of personnel and equipment
- Comply with termsof local and national labor agreements
- Oversee andimplement safe work practices among direct reports
- Implement housekeepingand workplace organization practices
- Implementdivisional and corporate policies
- Work with othersupport functions (e.g. Plant Engineering, Manufacturing)
- Develop scope ofwork and procure contracted services. Oversee safe work of same when on-site.
- Relatively highlevel of analytical ability where problems are complex
- Ability tointerpret blueprints and engineering drawings
- Oral and writtencommunication skills
- Knowledge ofplant equipment systems – fire protection, piping, HVAC systems
- Demonstratedtechnical skills in job related area
- Knowledge of andability to effectively use computer software
- Interpersonalskills to meet diverse goals in fast paced unionized manufacturing environment
- Technical degreeor Skilled Trades Journeypersons Card
- Experience withApprenticeship Program(s) preferred
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.