At the new General Motors, we are passionate about designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This vision unites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of our customer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happen with the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing our industry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar. Our 202,000 employees work in 158 facilities touching six continents, they speak more than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing and engineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles and technologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valued for their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who are looking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
The "career"level GRx Gear Process Engineer is responsible for assistingwith developing, set-up monitoring and continuous improvement of manufacturingprocesses, equipment/tooling alternatives, sequence and flow of operations forthe effective utilization of personnel, material, machines and facilitiesnecessary for the production of gears. Work is performed in a plant activitywhere a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised as wellas a high level of independent judgment. Minimal travel (>5%) is required tomachine OEMS and other GM manufacturing facilities.
- Continuous improvement of equipment and tools required in plants for the production of high quality gears.
- Gear manufacturing process development and definition, and input to Bill of Process (BOP) / Bill of Engineering (BOE)
- Gear equipment uptime and throughput
- Updating technical drawings and control plans for engineering changes
- Human factors consideration
- Efficient material flow
- Providing technical direction to and oversight of outside vendor sources for gears, gear blanks and related components
- Presentation of continuous improvement projects including: project initiations, status updates, and final approval
- Work may involve development and testing of advanced process technology.
- Knowledge/experience with Planetary and Parallel Axis gear designs, manufacturing and measurement processes
- Strong technical knowledge and ability in process engineering
- Strong knowledge and ability to implement GMS principles
- 3+ years of related experience in a high volume manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of FMEA’s, control plans and RPN reduction processes
- Understanding of gaging and CMM requirements
- Must be willing to work primarily 2nd shift
- Flexibility to rotate/work any shift
- Demonstrate excellent level of analytical ability
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and difficult projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Demonstrated initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
- Proven ability in project management skills, proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Education & Training:
- Bachelor's Degree required with major in Mechanical Engineering or machining equivalent experience required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or protected veteran status.