General Purpose of Position:
Work involves assisting in the management of Safety & Industrial Hygiene processes related to manufacturing, engineering and non-manufacturing operations. Applies diversified knowledge of Safety & Industrial Hygiene principles and practices to produce and/or coordinate the operations Safety processes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will work under the guidance of the site safety supervisor
- Assists in reducing and eliminating industrial accident hazards and frequencies
- Performs ergonomic assessments and provides technical guidance to employees to minimize risks associated with material handling, repetitive motion and workstation design
- Assists in Investigating accidents and/or injuries; conducts safety audit, surveys, and inspections to verify compliance levels
- Help develop and implement programs to reduce job related injuries
- Meets regularly with local union representative and assists on safety matters
- Identifies and posts areas requiring protective equipment and assists in the administration of the protective equipment programs
- Assists in the administration of plant safety rules and instructions
- Reviews new equipment and methods for potential hazards
- Analyzes safety statistics and develops recommendation
- Assists supervisors in the safety training of employees
- Works toward better understanding safety culture in a plant setting and strategies to engage employees in the safety process
- Presents project status to plant leadership at end of work cycle
- Working towards a BS/BA in BS-Occupational Health/Industrial Hygiene or related engineering discipline
- Strong interpersonal skills including facilitation, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated ability to energize and influence at the leadership level
- Proven ability to build trust and respect at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set and execute to work plans
- Solid analytical, organizational, prioritization and project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated discretion in dealing with highly confidential matters
- Good oral and written communication skills
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Minimum GPA of 2.8. Demonstrated ability in area of study
Locations: Assignment may be at the GMNA Safety Headquarters in Warren, MI or any plant within the U.S. Sample plant locations include:
Spring Hill, TN
Western New York (Tonawanda, Lockport, Rochester)
Relocation: Must be willing to relocate for assignment. Housing will be provided.
Some travel may be required.
Must have own transportation.
Must have the right to work in the U.S. without visa sponsorship.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.