The Data Scientist is responsible for litigation analysis, benchmarking of product liability claims, plaintiff’s attorneys, and defense attorneys, and identifying emerging vehicle issues within the privileged legal database and the safety databases by analyzing, mining, and monitoring relevant data. This requires identifying trends and patterns in Team Connect and other databases.
Must be analytical, adaptable, and very detail oriented, producing high quality and accurate work product.
- Identify and quantify the underlying factors driving claim filings and values
- Develop exploratory data analysis approach for production of product litigation defense model and attorney demographics
- Develop analytical approaches to measure the effectiveness of counsel using actuarial and other data driven methodology
- Develop analytical approaches to identify potential emerging issues through data analysis and reporting
- Manage Large and Complex Electronic Datasets
- Perform analysis using text mining, data mining, and analytical tools
- Understand legal and safety data and how to use it appropriately in data analysis
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other data analytics teams to arrive at actionable insights
- Support feedback of ontology and taxonomy for legal and safety issues to ensure text mining is comprehensive
- Apply best-in-class emerging issues methodologies for issue identification.
- Participate in technical meetings to discuss data findings
- 5+ years of work experience in Analytics or Business Intelligence
- Master’s degree in Applied Statistics/Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research or related field
- Highly proficient with one or more data mining/predictive modeling tools such as SAS, JMP, R, Python, Aster, or Watson as well as proficient in SQL.
- Knowledge of statistical graphics and experience with visualization tools such as Tableau
- Strong quantitative skills and strong business acumen required
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods such as categorical data analysis, multivariate analysis, regression analysis, survey sampling design, survival/reliability analysis, design of experiments, analysis of variance
- Ability to effectively communicate results and methodologies. Must be comfortable presenting to executive leadership
- Must have strong drive for results and be a self-starter
- Strong understanding and experience with predictive / analytical modeling techniques, theories, principles, and practices.
- Previous experience with statistical modeling, text mining, and/or machine learning
- Experience with data preparation, rationalization, and processing
- Willingness to learn new skills and methods as needed – continuous learning mindset
- Understanding of vehicle technologies including design intent, function and intended performance in the field
- Knowledge of GM IT systems and processes
- Five or more years of experience in the legal or automotive industries
- Experience with dealing with both structured and unstructured data
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.