At the new General Motors, we are passionate about designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This vision unites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of our customer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happen with the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing our industry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar. Our 202,000 employees work in 158 facilities touching six continents, they speak more than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing and engineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles and technologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valued for their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who are looking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
This position is located at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, KY.
- Responsible for activity at the department (body shop) level
- Plant floor troubleshooting, training, and problem solving to root cause analysis.
- Knowledge and experience with:
- Resistance Spot Welding (steel and aluminum)
- Projection Welds
- Drawn Arc Welding
- Mechanical Joining (self piercing rivet and clinch applications)
- Sealer/Adhesive Dispense processes
- Laser welding / brazing
- Develops and implements predictive and preventive maintenance activities
- Monitors Weld, Dispense, Mechanical Joining and Robot Support Systems for changes to welding, joining, and dispense processes.
- Works with assigned personnel as required on current and future Body Shop assembly processes.
- Reviews welding and joining destruct reports, process control sheets, and weld monitoring reports for corrective action requirements.
- Supports the plant on new welding, mechanical joining and dispense equipment design, verification, and buyoff.
- Coordinates installation and validation of welding and dispense equipment.
- Maintains documentation control of product and process engineering records (Weld Studies, Weld Data Sheets, Weld Tool Information Sheets, Dispense Data Sheets, eBOP assembly documentation, and Engineering Standards).
- Establish a course of action to accomplish completion of the job and or project.
- Implements Quality Initiatives
- Utilizes statistical methods and data from Voice of Customer and Voice of Process for continuous improvement
- Maintains awareness of quality standards, communicates department quality goals, and leverages resources to solve quality problems
- Builds and maintains good working relationships with employees, union and management
- Understands and consistently administers national and local agreements
- Executes safe work practices as the highest priority and achieves objectives for ergonomics, health/safety, and housekeeping
- Motivates, trains, and develops employees to effectively perform their jobs utilizing standardized methods
- Ensures employees perform job responsibilities and empowers them to continuously improve their work by managing and eliminating constraints
- Communicates between shifts and departments to implement best practices, resolve problems and sustain consistent performance to objectives
- Utilizes human resources in accordance with corporate and governmental policies and procedures
- Provides support to execute production schedules and product requirements by utilizing Competitive Manufacturing Processes with emphasis on variation reduction
- Reduces waste by identifying and improving value-added tasks and eliminating non-value added tasks
- Controls costs and achieves productivity improvements
- Provides input to payroll and performs other administrative tasks as required
- Must be able to work various shifts
- Thorough knowledge of tooling and manufacturing processes
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals required
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- Ability to read electrical schematics and mechanical drawings
- Basic math and mechanical skills
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Weld Engineering, Metallurgy or equivalent experience
- Training in college level theoretical and applied mechanics, vibrations, fluid dynamics, physics, metallurgy, electricity, thermodynamics, heat transfer and manufacturing techniques
- Training in computer and robotic applications
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.