Sr. Supplier Development Engineer – 7th level
Work involves functioning as technical liaison between purchasing, engineering , manufacturing and suppliers to resolve quality issues, implement and monitor advanced quality planning and provide technical support. Applies diversified knowledge of quality engineering principles and practices to produce and or coordinate the solutions to complex problems. Considerable creativity and initiative is required. Independent judgment is normally required with some direction from the supervisor. May exercise some technical direction over others.
- Work with Suppliers to improve their processes to produce parts/ assemblies that meet quality standards, timing and volumes.
- Assure supplier understanding of product and submission requirements
- Implement and monitor the part qualification certification process with selected suppliers
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Improve quality performance of suppliers by conducting workshops at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing a quality system, or other technical support as required
- Determine part critical characteristics and required process controls
- May participate as member or resource to product development teams.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Basic Skills Required:
Strong background in GMS and Lean Manufacturing Principles
Ability to leverage and interpret data for problem solving
Knowledge of Industrial Engineering
Hands on experience in manufacturing and knowledge to build quality parts
Highly proficient in print reading and interpretation and part measurement
Demonstrated thorough knowledge of probability, statistical quality control and design of experiments
Demonstrated expertise in investigating complex quality problems and applying sound technical judgment to develop possible solutions
Ability to travel frequently (40-60%)
This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Technical background/degree (ME, EE)
- Manufacturing process knowledge
- Quality system / statistical background
- Overall flexibility due to frequent plan changes driven by unforeseen current quality issue
- Demonstrated knowledge of geometric design and tolerance and gage design and function
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of manufacturing and assembly plant processes, procedures,
- Facilities and equipment
Education and Training:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in manufacturing, quality or engineering including experience in implementing advanced quality planning processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical), Industrial Technology, or Manufacturing. Desirable course work would include probability and/or statistics. Equivalent technical experience can substitute for degree requirement.