Opportunity for an experienced engineer to become a Steering Systems Engineer in the Chassis Systems Engineering Organization. The Steering Systems Engineer is responsible to ensure that system engineering methods are applied during the creation, development, verification, and validation of steering systems. The Steering Systems Engineer is responsible for specifying steering system requirements, analysis, benchmarking, test procedures, issue resolution and validation. This person will verify that the steering systems work as expected under all operating conditions with nominal, six sigma and failed components.
- Become the global system expert for steering systems
- Integrate new steering systems and steering features into existing and future vehicle architectures
- Works with other Steering Systems Engineers to understand the functional and physical properties of a steering system
- Use analysis tools to iterate solutions that optimize system performance and component contributions
- Translates steering feature requirements into functional/physical system technical specifications and decompose those requirements to sub-systems and components as required
- Seeks input from other engineering areas (e.g., service, manufacturing) for specifications
- Use change management process/tools for configuration management of specifications.
- Drive communization of Feature implementation where possible (i.e., reduce unnecessary complexity)
- Create system DFMEA and ensure linkage to component DFMEA and manufacturing PFEMA.
- Support development/validation/verification test procedure development
- Interact with the various component release engineers to ensure alignment between system/subsystem/component boundaries
- Work with component and vehicle engineering to ensure system/subsystem interfaces are working as defined
- Supports the steering organizations sourcing process with specification development and supplier technical reviews
- Provide technical steering system support throughout all phases of the vehicle program to ensure robust program execution and performance
- Provides technical leadership and support for Advanced Technology Work (ATW) projects with Chassis
- Define / perform competitive vehicle benchmarking in support of feature and system performance target setting
- Identifies, tracks and resolves engineering issues
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products
- Travels as required
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Candidate must have one of the following engineering degrees: BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering or Computer Science Engineering
Working knowledge of Steering Systems, including mechanical systems, electro-mechanical devices, electric motors, embedded control systems, and electrical control units
Four or more years’ experience with steering systems and electrical devices
Working knowledge of Steering System development, integration, verification, validation and the vehicle manufacturing processes
Working knowledge of Steering System hardware design and failure modes
Understand system reliability, safety, monitoring, and diagnostic technologies and processes
Understand the engineering theory and principles of Vehicle Dynamics
Understand appropriate content for Vehicle and System Level Specifications
Understand the capability and application of various analytical tools
Proactive / results driven individual with high levels of initiative
High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex
Strong track record of solving complex problems and outlining the strategy by which others can solve a problem
High level of oral and written communication skills
High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and negotiate effectively with others to meet mutual goals
Be comfortable and willing to make decisions and assume the risk with those decisions.
Needs to be open minded, optimistic, approachable, easy to work with and willing to mentor individuals within their own area and other organizations
Ability to learn, apply knowledge and work independently with minimal supervision.