Steering Wheel and Driver Airbag Design Release Engineer
We are seeking experienced, motivated engineers to support the next generation of industry-leading occupant restraint systems. We’re committed to enhancing the product – with new features, new materials, and new technologies. To do this, we need forward-looking, innovative engineers who can help shape the future.
In short, we’re currently seeking the next generation of game-changers to usher in a new era of automotive innovation. Are you ready to rise to the challenge?
The GM Interior Team offers opportunities across a spectrum of engineering experience. These product engineering positions involve responsibility for all activities - including definition of requirements, execution of design, validation and testing - during the development of interior systems throughout a vehicle’s lifecycle. These roles require an experienced engineer to lead and drive a cross functional product development team. In addition, they require collaboration with peers in the creative design, purchasing, manufacturing, and quality functions.
- Generating and executing technical solutions for steering wheel & driver airbag application engineering to support new vehicle programs
- Providing technical leadership for advanced component or technology development
- Performing complex design analysis and evaluating engineering designs
- Working cross-functionally to implement cost reduction, methods and product improvements, and to support prototype and production build activities
- Balancing business imperatives, including but not limited to cost, mass, complexity, and timing
- Production design release of steering wheel & driver airbag parts and subsystems
- Communicating information to and from internal and external customer organizations
- Staying abreast of relevant new technology and competitive products
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering (Technology Degrees are not accepted for this position.
- Minimum two years of experience with the engineering of steering wheel & driver airbag components or application into vehicles including validation and regulatory compliance
- Master’s Degree or other Advanced Degree
- Experienced in Design For Six Sigma
- Experience with DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) and GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing)
- Knowledge of steering wheel & driver airbag components and testing, plastic materials and processes, metal forming, assembly processes, and safety regulations
- Experience working within automotive OEM systems and VDP, and experience with automotive component suppliers