Toledo Global Propulsion Systems is seeking an Ergonomist to join the UAW-GM Joint Ergonomics Technical Team (JETT). As a member of this team, you will be responsible to jointly lead efforts to reduce cumulative trauma injuries for all plant personnel. Activities will include, but are not limited to, analyzing data/conditions, identifying risk, seeking root cause, developing solutions, leading implementation, and driving innovation and continuous improvement.
As an Ergonomist and member of the JETT, you will work collaboratively with other functions of the organization in an effort to keep our Team Members safe both in current state as well as in future states resulting from proposed changes and/or new product introductions. In this position you may also have additional responsibilities within the Industrial Engineering team as deemed necessary and appropriate.
The ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and team-based environment will be critical to your success. Other attributes and skills needed to be successful in this position include, but are not limited to, excellent leadership skills, strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, growth mindset, strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, high integrity, and empathy.
- Implement and co-administer the National UAW-GM Ergonomics Agreement and process working with UAW partners
- Act as the subject matter expert in the field of Ergonomics and provide ergonomic technical support to all plant functions/operations
- Capture and interpret injury/illness data for all associated ergonomic/medical incidents
- Conduct first level ergonomic risk analysis for both current and future states
- Conduct, as appropriate, second level ergonomic risk analysis using specified tools for both current and future states
- Work collaboratively with Product Design, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Production personnel, etc. to identify ergonomic risks, develop solutions and drive issues to closure
- Input issues into the GM Technical Ergonomic Database (TED) or associated systems, develop metrics and analyze trends
- Provide regular report outs to the Plant Safety Review Board
- Lead and facilitate formal and informal injury reduction initiatives through data analysis, problem solving and continuous improvement.
- Conduct ergonomic related training and presentations as required
- Drive innovation and exploration of new technologies, analysis tools, techniques, processes, and devices to reduce ergonomic risks and injuries
- Actively participate in ergonomic activities associated with new product planning and launch
- Work with and support corporate ergonomics activities
- Perform additional Industrial Engineering group assignments/tasks as deemed necessary and appropriate
- Excellent level of leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members, the UAW and other stakeholders to solve problems and resolve issues
- Ability to manage multiple and difficult projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization and work well with multiple customers at the same time
- High level of analytical ability, problem-solving skills, and a drive for results
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Human Kinetics, Ergonomics, Biomedical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge/experience in ergonomic principles, risk factors and analytical tools
- Experience with new product launches
- 4+ years of manufacturing experience, preferably Automotive