Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to be onsite approximately 3 days per week
As a Senior Software Engineer at GM, you will be a part of the Vehicle Mechatronic Embedded Controls (VMEC) team, working in the Battery and High Voltage Agile Release Train (ART). Your focus will be on developing and delivering high-quality software solutions for embedded control systems, specifically for controlling vehicle’s high voltage contactors and energy management for battery packs within GM’s electrification portfolio. Your work will contribute directly to GM's vision of a world with ZERO Crashes, ZERO Emissions, and ZERO Congestion
Your daily routine will encompass a range of activities that align with GM’s broader mission and vision, ensuring that the architectural strategies are in sync with GM’s electrification and innovation goals.
GM is committed to electrifying the world with exciting new electric vehicles like the recently launched Cadillac Lyriq, the upcoming electric Chevy Silverado, the GMC Hummer EV, and many others. Your contributions will have a direct impact on the dramatically growing electric vehicle portfolio and help bring GM's vision to production.
What You’ll do:
- Deliver high-quality software for embedded controls systems in the electrification space, specifically for high voltage contactors and energy management.
- Ensure compliance with safety requirements, government regulations, and GM-internal policies (e.g., MISRA guidelines).
- Adhere to good software design principles, utilizing design patterns and understanding supervisory controls architecture and hardware abstractions for effective software solutions.
- Design, develop, and implement Physics and Controls requirements to continuously improve software for mechatronic controls, diagnostics strategies, and controller communication.
- Maintain an understanding of Ethernet standards and its application and automotive communication protocols like CAN, LIN, ARXML.
- Test & demonstrate software functionality & readiness, ensuring hardware agnostic solutions across all GM owned software.
- Document requirements for design solutions and link them to test cases that can demonstrate software functionality ensuring traceability.
- Utilize automated test tools in build environments, test benches, and vehicles to verify functionality at the Controller, System, and Vehicle level.
- Lead and provide guidance to your Agile Scrum team members, fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment.
- Coordinate with various departments outside your organization such as Systems & Safety, Validation, Electrical Architecture, Software Defined Vehicle (SDV), Calibration, and Vehicle Performance.
- Embrace BDD/TDD software development methodologies to ensure Software Built In Quality, promoting early bug detection, and facilitating collaboration between developers, testers, and non-technical stakeholders.
- Familiarize and work efficiently with Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) principles, leveraging them to create optimized and modular software solutions.
- Utilize CI/CD pipelines for efficient development, testing, and deployment of software solutions, with a solid understanding of DevOps principles.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- BS in Engineering – Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or BS in Computer Science.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with proven technical and professional skills in job-related area – embedded controls software for High Voltage Battery Systems.
- Proficient in C, C++ programming.
- Experience with JIRA and Scaled Agile Framework.
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed.
- Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking that is customer centric.
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Skills)
- MS in Engineering, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or Computer Science.
- Expert in C, C++, Matlab Simulink, Auto Code Generation, Python scripting.
- Experience with bootloader, embedded operating systems, controller communication or diagnostics, and complex device drivers.
- Working experience in AUTOSAR standards and methodology.
- Familiar with MISRA guidelines.
- Knowledge and experience with CAN, LIN, ARXML, or Ethernet communications protocol.
- Proficient with software architectures.