GM does not provide immigration-related sponsorship, either now or in the future, for this internship role. Do not apply for this role if you currently need GM to provide immigration-related sponsorship for this internship or if you hope to receive such sponsorship for this INTERNSHIP in the future (to be able to complete the internship). However, we are able to consider candidates who are currently authorized to work for GM in the US for the duration of this internship, even if they may require future immigration sponsorship for a separate entry-level role, so long as it is understood that no immigration-related sponsorship will be offered to participants in connection with this specific internship.
Work Arrangement: Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week. Some roles may require the individual to be fully onsite.
At General Motors we pride ourselves on designing, building and selling the world's best vehicles. We are seeking a new generation of visionaries to help launch bold engineering and business initiatives, and shape new directions for General Motors. As an intern or co-op student through our EXCEL (Exploring Careers through Experiential Learning) Program you will gain hands-on career specific experiences to maximize your real world potential.
Collaborating on innovation challenges, interacting with Industry leaders, attending cross-functional networking events and volunteering for community service activities.
At GM, we look to move humanity forward. We translate breakthrough technologies into vehicles and experience that people love. It all starts with research and development. We are looking for R&D Interns to craft, design, and develop groundbreaking designs and concepts. In this internship, you will plan and execute collaborative research to generate new knowledge and sophisticated technology for our vehicles. Our culture of "Innovate Now" gives you the opportunity to be creative and implement designs that could possibly be driving around in the near future!
In the Energy and Propulsion Systems Research (EPSR) lab, you will have the opportunities to contribute to the research, innovation, and development of future electrification and propulsion technologies. These include but are not limited to battery & systems architecture, traction & drive systems, energy management, and charging & clean energy solutions. We design and prototype proof-of-concept hardware for tomorrow’s vehicles. We also explore and develop models, controls, and prognostics with cutting-edge big data / AI / ML technologies. Join our world-class research team today if you want to make a positive impact to the lives of millions of people.
The EPSR lab’s research focus areas include:
- Battery & Systems Architecture
- Power Electronics & Energy Conversion Systems
- Electric Machine & Drive Systems
- Energy and Propulsion Systems Control
- Multi-physics High-Fidelity Modeling
- Battery Abuse Measurements and Simulation
- Vehicle Health Management, including Advanced Diagnostics and Prognostics
- Strategic Energy & Mobility
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct research and/or experiments to collect required data and validate research ideas
- Document and present results. Depending on the assignment, results could lead to external publications and/or intellectual property
- Assist lab management in identifying mega trends in technology and business strategies in the automotive sector
- Develop and execute specific research plans, including concept generation, development, implementation, and validation
- Collaborate effectively with peers, management, operations groups, and outside organizations
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications):
- Must be a second-year Master’s student or currently pursuing PhD
- Preferred degree in science/engineering subject areas
- Strong theoretical and experimental skills
- Previous research work experience in development of design methodology and technology transfer
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Consistently demonstrate critical thinking and strong teamwork
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent persuasion, active listening, delegation, and leadership skills to work effectively with GM internal and external customers
What Will Give You the Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Prior internship experience in automotive, technology, or manufacturing
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, especially the ability to synthesize large amounts of data involving multiple variables into comprehensive, impactful insights
- Willingness to ask questions, take initiative and be inventive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
The salary range for this role is $$6100-$8600 , dependent upon class status and degree.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to eligible students selected for the 2024 Student Program.
Benefit options are not available for this role.